PDA

View Full Version : What are the advantages of Bandpass?

NitroDuck
06-28-2003, 08:17 PM
No im not thinking of building/buying one, but i notice nobody likes em. Whats wrong with them? At one time they seemed like they were the way to go.

ss3079
06-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Pros:

Easy to direct output.
Higher power handling.
Keeps speaker free from debris.
Proper design leads to great low frequency extension.

Cons:

Usually a large enclosure.
Hides distortion so you can't detect possible damage to your driver.
Overall, very hard on the driver.
Very hard to build, and design.

- Steve

ss3079
06-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Jmac
Higher power handling ?

It's just what I've heard - I don't know if it is a myth or not.

- Steve

nswartley
06-28-2003, 10:11 PM
the bottom line is this: unless you plan to build your own bandpass box and put a ton of hours of design and work into it, do not get one. you especially dont want a pre-fab bandpass box.

-nate

karter74
06-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Well when I first got into car audio, I got a pre fabbed bandpass for my bazooka subs. (They weren't all that bad actually, bazooka only has a bad rep cause of the tube subs, other than that, bazooka is pretty good) I can tell you, only get a bandpass if you want pure SPL. It ruins any kind of SQ (unless built directly for that sub) but makes almost any kind of driver really loud.

Randy Savage
06-29-2003, 10:25 PM
4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...

NitroDuck
06-30-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by snova031
4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...

Thanks for all the responses.
Do you know a web site where i can get instructions on how to construct a proper bandpass enclosure. Im just curious.

Randy Savage
06-30-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by NitroDuck
Thanks for all the responses.
Do you know a web site where i can get instructions on how to construct a proper bandpass enclosure. Im just curious.

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/4thord1.htm

Enjoy :)

ss3079
06-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by snova031
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/4thord1.htm

Enjoy :)

And good luck...if you do decide to build one, let us know how it turns out.

- Steve