PDA

View Full Version : home audio enclosure questions

budget76
09-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Well, gonna make a setup for my dorm/bedroom when not at school over thanksgiving break, and i'm trying to get it all planned out way ahead of time.

I plan to pick up an plate amp that puts out >300 watts, be it from PE or used.

Trying to plan the enclosure. I don't need box plans themselves, i'll figure that out, just trying to see how my numbers sound. I plan to have the box 2 cubes, rectangle shaped, and standing up so the longer side is vertical. It will be downfiring, and I'm thinking 2 3" aeros on the top, approx 17" long each, giving me a tuning between 31,33hz. It will be both for movies and music, so I don't want it tuned WAY low for a strictly HT application. I plan on using an older 10" RF PunchXLC sub I have sitting around, 200 RMS, 400 max

So, how's my plan sound? Am I an idiot? Will 32hz be a good compromise for a HT setup? Is 2 cubes too big for a single 10? Just looked it up, they recommend 1cube, will I be ok if I keep the power down? Should I scrap the idea of using the 10? I figure I can make sure the cutout area is large enough that I can mount a 12" in the future.

icweiner
09-05-2008, 12:43 AM
id do 1.75 cubes tuned around 27 hz. mine were tuned to 34 hz in my house and didnt play low at all..... more like 40 or so hz and above.

budget76
09-05-2008, 12:48 AM
id do 1.75 cubes tuned around 27 hz. mine were tuned to 34 hz in my house and didnt play low at all..... more like 40 or so hz and above.

thanks, good to know. FWIW, I came up with the numbers I got by playing around on the aero port calculator. I planned on using the aero kits from partsexpress, but they only go up to 17" long, so I planned my ports by that length. I'll see what'd be needed to get it down lower tuned.

icweiner
09-05-2008, 01:00 AM
thanks, good to know. FWIW, I came up with the numbers I got by playing around on the aero port calculator. I planned on using the aero kits from partsexpress, but they only go up to 17" long, so I planned my ports by that length. I'll see what'd be needed to get it down lower tuned.

do a slot box. it is way easier to be tuned lower. also mine werent down fired. they were fired into a corner.

budget76
09-05-2008, 01:11 AM
do a slot box. it is way easier to be tuned lower. also mine werent down fired. they were fired into a corner.

The only problem with a slot port is that it's got to be larger physically, I have a very small space to work with right now. I actually have a 1.25 cubes@32hz box at home I could test out and see how it sounds. I plan to do this before making a box. It's tuned higher than you reccomended, but I could go from there.

I personally like the idea of downfiring it, because I can use it as a table as well, and the sub cannot get damaged at all being on the bottom. Heck, it's only the idea stage, everything is possible to change. Just forming ideas now:D

helotaxi
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Passive radiator. Small box with the output characteristics of a ported enclosure.

budget76
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Passive radiator. Small box with the output characteristics of a ported enclosure.

I'll look into them. Aren't they $$ though? Edit: so they aren't expensive, just another thing to read about now