PDA

View Full Version : Type R's in sealed enclosure for sq

Xprime4
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah i know those aren't sq monster :rolleyes:, but i'm pretty tire of my 4.3 ported box tuned to 32hz. It's loud, but i can be so sloppy my on some songs.

My amp is a bxi1606d hooked at 1ohm on two alpine type r 12 inch. Alpine says to build a box from .7-1ft/cu per sub. Just before i start the new box project :p: , i wanted to be sure that it's the best way to get the best sq out of those subs. I want the freq to be the most linear it could be from 20hz-100hz.

What size to build? I listen mainly to rap

thank you in advance

Xprime4
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I had those in 1.3 ft/cu sealead before , but i'm not sure that was exacly what i wanted.

my car is an accent 99 hatchback btw

PSturmer
09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
you will obtain a much better response curve with a properly designed ported box rather than a sealed box. for pure sq i would do like 1.7 cubes tuned to like 32 maybe. and a small port (i would use a single 4'' aero port).

Immacomputer
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I would not seal those subs if you want any decent sound below 40hz.

I would do about 3.5 cubes total tuned to 25hz. That would reinforce the 20-40hz response and give a tighter 50-80hz region.

Shoot for about 30-40 in^2 of port area or two 4" aeros about 30" long.

jdawg
09-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I was just gonna say, drop the tuning

GAM3OVR
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah i know those aren't sq monster :rolleyes:, but i'm pretty tire of my 4.3 ported box tuned to 32hz. It's loud, but i can be so sloppy my on some songs.

My amp is a bxi1606d hooked at 1ohm on two alpine type r 12 inch. Alpine says to build a box from .7-1ft/cu per sub. Just before i start the new box project :p: , i wanted to be sure that it's the best way to get the best sq out of those subs. I want the freq to be the most linear it could be from 20hz-100hz.

What size to build? I listen mainly to rap

thank you in advance

sell the R's, buy X :)

Xprime4
09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
So a smaller box, tuned lower would help with the 50-80hs z ? Those are the weak freqs from my actual box, i think. :p:

I want my next box to be with aero tube. What dimension i'm looking for with abox around 3.5 tuned to 25-28hz ( isn't 25 a little low:confused: ). is there a calculator like the Re one with square port. The box will be 37 inch max . could i put the areo n the side and sub on the top ( i think it's the best in hatchback isn't it?)

Xprime4
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
what's about giving a little bass boost ( don't worry i'm no noob with gain). That would reinforce the around 50hz range while still having the 30ish gain from the ported or would it create two peak and no musical quality?? my car isn't home, i can't try right now :(

Immacomputer
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So a smaller box, tuned lower would help with the 50-80hs z ? Those are the weak freqs from my actual box, i think. :p:

I want my next box to be with aero tube. What dimension i'm looking for with abox around 3.5 tuned to 25-28hz ( isn't 25 a little low:confused: ). is there a calculator like the Re one with square port. The box will be 37 inch max . could i put the areo n the side and sub on the top ( i think it's the best in hatchback isn't it?)

The reason the upper bass sounds weak is really because the bottom end is heavy. Tuning around 25hz (I wouldn't go much higher if you really want a nice response from 20-80hz) will take some of the energy from the 35-45hz range and apply it to the 20-30hz range. Going a little smaller will also reduce the peak and give some extra spring to the upper bass region.

What vehicle is this going in? Sub up port back or side is not always the way to go in a hatchback and it usually isn't the way to go for a flat response. Another thing to remember is that cabin gain will usually start around 60-70hz and so frequencies above this will not have as much gain to them so they should sound weak compared to the lower frequencies if you're trying to get your subs to play them. Outside of my car, my sub is flat from about 30hz to past 100hz but in my car, it's flat from about 15hz to 70hz and above 70hz, it starts to roll off.

Also, bass boost is a terrible idea. Bass boost usually will boost around 40hz and create even more of a peak than you probably already have. It's almost always better and definitely always cleaner to cut peaks rather than boost valleys. Boosting will really just give those frequencies affected by the bass boost a higher chance of clipping.

Xprime4
09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
ok thank's man that's nice a complete answer :)

the car is an accent 99 hatchback, so the trunk is real small. 4.3 is almost the biggest i could do :wow:

where should the subs be facing? and the port? I would use areo port, so maybe bigger diameter for a less lenght. Any calculator that could help me? And 3.5 would be the ideal for my application right?