PDA

View Full Version : 9887 vs 800/880prs

ryanj91
09-03-2008, 11:15 PM
just wonderin everyones opinion on these

i can get the 9887 for ~250 and the 880 for 200

so price included, what would you guys pick?

dragnix
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
there's a comparison on here that favors the 9887 over the 880

ryanj91
09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
the search bar is a useful function...

dragnix
09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
then use it

TurdFergueson2
09-03-2008, 11:28 PM
You should have offered him some of that free ***.
I don't get why he would tell you to search some **** he was questioning. I have an 800PRS, and it's nice. Haven't used all of the functions. I may go ALpine next year/car, but you can't go wrong with either. To me it comes down to choice. Some picked Alpine because of the issue with the pico fuse in Pioneer HUs

ryanj91
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
i think the fact that the 880 comes with a mic is making me lean more towards it

alex5857
09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
i'd take the alpine strictly because it looks so ****

blackbonnie
09-04-2008, 12:32 AM
i'd take the alpine strictly because it looks so ****

x2

bass_lover1
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
just wonderin everyones opinion on these

i can get the 9887 for ~250 and the 880 for 200

so price included, what would you guys pick?

You're not offering us enough information...you're asking our opinions on something that has no effect on us.

Maybe you should list a few things that you want feature wise, and we can help. I've owned/own both, both have their ups and downs, and IMO neither of them are perfect but quite possibly for you one will offer you something that the other doesn't, or one has features that you wont need.

tcguy85
09-04-2008, 01:16 AM

qkassidyw
09-04-2008, 03:07 AM

Awesome....I see your point.

Thanks for clearing this argument up.

7458697 (I can write numbers too)

blackbonnie
09-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Awesome....I see your point.

Thanks for clearing this argument up.

7458697 (I can write numbers too)

phone number???

ryanj91
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
You're not offering us enough information...you're asking our opinions on something that has no effect on us.

Maybe you should list a few things that you want feature wise, and we can help. I've owned/own both, both have their ups and downs, and IMO neither of them are perfect but quite possibly for you one will offer you something that the other doesn't, or one has features that you wont need.

i like a very customizable equalizer, time correction, prefer to have aux ports built in, sound quality

Anniku989
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I love pioneer, and I love my HU, but when I were to upgrade (it was between those two), I"m going with the alpine.

Pioneers don't seem to be as 'sturdy' as they used to, don't look as clean or sleek as the alpines any more, and have more troubles than I can recall with the alpines (pico fuses, ribbon cables, grounding probs...). Plus, I've always had pioneer hu's, and I think it's time for a change.

mikey7182
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
CDA-9835 :D I've owned the 880PRS, 800PRS, CDA-9887, and currently run the 9835. Doing an A/B comparison between the 800PRS and the 9835, EQ flat, no TA done, crossover points and slopes the same, and gains matched, to me the Alpine sounds better. It really is a matter of preference though. Pioneer has more of a warm sound, whereas Alpine tends to be a little more airy. All of these headunits are excellent though. It really would come down to owning more than one and seeing which one you liked more. A lot more goes into which headunit to run besides price. Aesthetics, functionality, SQ, accessory compatibility (i.e. iPods), warranty, etc.

qkassidyw
09-05-2008, 12:28 AM
phone number???

Haha...I realized after I posted it that it was seven digits...call it and see what happens...maybe Jenny will answer...

bass_lover1
09-06-2008, 04:17 AM
i like a very customizable equalizer, time correction, prefer to have aux ports built in, sound quality

Pio has a better EQ. I don't care who says a PEQ is better than a graphic, the 5 band PEQ on the Alpine is a joke in my eyes. The L/R independent 16 band on the Pio is better to me, I really think Alpine dropped the ball on that feature.

Both units have T/A the Pio's auto T/A is a nice touch, and it actually does a pretty ****ed good job IMO. The neat thing about the Pio's T/A is even if you want to do it manually you measure the distance from each speaker to your ear and input the 4 lengths (if two way front stage). With the Alpine, you use the speaker farthest away from you as a starting point, take that distance (put in as 0 in the T/A section) then you measure the distance of the other speakers to you, and subtract the difference from your original. It's a bit trickier, but it works just the same.

Pioneer has two built in Aux ports, I believe the Alpine requires you to use an adapter.

SQ is subjective really, both sound good in their own regard, but thats really up to you. Also, once you start tuning with either deck, IMO the sonic signature of either deck really goes out the window, because they're so customizable you can make either of them sound really well.

The Pio does have some really cool features, that I do miss some times. However, the slow iPod control and having the pause and mute functions buried into a menu really annoyed me and the Alpine is a nice substitute.

quakerroatmeal
09-06-2008, 06:02 AM
My 800prs is on the way. I was a die hard fan of Alpine back when they had the 9835 models, and phantom faces. I really enjoy the motorized face, I am guessing they had a lot of mechanical failures so they stopped doing it but I hate that it's not motorized anymore. Plus I like the older style rather then the new 3 layer button that they have now. Had a 880prs, loved it but sold the whole system.

UCF52
09-06-2008, 11:44 AM
having the pause and mute functions buried into a menu really annoyed me and the Alpine is a nice substitute.

You can pause the 880 via the "PGM" button on the remote.

bass_lover1
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
You can pause the 880 via the "PGM" button on the remote.

I know, but a remote is pointless when the HU is less than an arm's reach away.

UCF52
09-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Yea, I guess it's just personal preference; I always am holding my remote when I'm driving.

Macklessdaddy
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Not when your arm is short as mine :laugh:

cam5860
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I think you all are forgetting about the kenwood excelon 991 model. I currently am running the prs 880 also and i'm telling you now. It's the cleanest sounding deck ive ever owned. I used to have the alpine 9833 deck but the 880 deck is much cleaner when driving subwoofers. I could tell a big difference in the bass output.

nismos14
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I compared the two and ended up with a 800prs in the end, I just prefer the warmer sound.

quakerroatmeal
09-10-2008, 05:00 PM

I think it's personal preference as well. I always have my remote in my hand too, I rather not wear out the knobs/button on the head-unit itself and just use the remote.

Mr. Opportunist
09-10-2008, 05:04 PM
You obviously don't compete...

adam71
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I think it's personal preference as well. I always have my remote in my hand too, I rather not wear out the knobs/button on the head-unit itself and just use the remote.

Exactly, keeping the face of the head unit in pristine condition is more important to me. Not to mention once you memorize the remote you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

adam71
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Some picked Alpine because of the issue with the pico fuse in Pioneer HUs

Which is a retarded reason. Anyone who knows how to install a head unit doesn't have a problem with them. User error FTL.

I love pioneer, and I love my HU, but when I were to upgrade (it was between those two), I"m going with the alpine.

Pioneers don't seem to be as 'sturdy' as they used to, don't look as clean or sleek as the alpines any more, and have more troubles than I can recall with the alpines (pico fuses, ribbon cables, grounding probs...). Plus, I've always had pioneer hu's, and I think it's time for a change.

I hear you on needing a change. But Pioneer decks are just as sturdy as others on the market. All mfgs have gone to using more plastic which is sturdy but plastic just doesn't have a sturdy feel or look. The 880 and 800 is a prime examle of that. Can't go wrong with a copper chassis. Also without a doubt the 880/800 are FAR more **** than Alpine units. Again, pico fuses don't blow if you know what you're doing. Ribbon cables, pioneer hasn't made a dual-faced unit for over 3 years now. Problem solved on that one. And I'm not sure what you mean by grounding problems. Haven't heard of Pioneer having grounding issues.

But I don't blame for wanting to try something different. I did a couple times (Alpine and Eclipse) and I STILL came back to Pioneer. Just love that sound.

I compared the two and ended up with a 800prs in the end, I just prefer the warmer sound.

Thank you. Alpine has always had a COLD sound to me. Lacking in the mid range. Pioneer has always had a fuller (warmer) sound to me.

quakerroatmeal
09-12-2008, 03:15 AM
I think it's Alpine is the one who doesn't look clean/sleek anymore. I really don't like that they changed from a 2 layer button layout to a 3layer button layout with no motorized face. I love the tilt/motorized feature, makes it very nice. And my 800prs came recently yay!!!