PDA

View Full Version : in dash video or sweet *** headunit?

Tehgregzor
09-02-2008, 02:07 AM
So now that i sold my headunit to Scuba steve..i'm pretty much back to square one. So, i've seen that indash dvd lcd touchscreens have gone down in price recently. I prolly can't spend more than 400...the more i spend on headunit, the less i can get in other places...so what should i get? I'd really like to get a flipout touch screen dvd player, but obviously the lower end ones are lacking in features such as a good eq or a dedicated sub preout. I don't mind buying used from here, so if anybody has any offers on a video unit thats nice and fits my budget, lemme know.

Cliff notes: Should i spend my money on a lower end flip out dvd touch screen, or a really nice headunit without DVD capabilities?

RidnClean
09-02-2008, 02:10 AM
buy one of those JVC decks with a 3 inch screen

example
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=105KDAVX44&search=JVC+DVD

azimuth
09-02-2008, 02:11 AM
So now that i sold my headunit to Scuba steve..i'm pretty much back to square one. So, i've seen that indash dvd lcd touchscreens have gone down in price recently. I prolly can't spend more than 400...the more i spend on headunit, the less i can get in other places...so what should i get? I'd really like to get a flipout touch screen dvd player, but obviously the lower end ones are lacking in features such as a good eq or a dedicated sub preout. I don't mind buying used from here, so if anybody has any offers on a video unit thats nice and fits my budget, lemme know.

Cliff notes: Should i spend my money on a lower end flip out dvd touch screen, or a really nice headunit without DVD capabilities?

go in between and get the jvc kd-avx44. i really like it for the price.

azimuth
09-02-2008, 02:11 AM
buy one of those JVC decks with a 3 inch screen

example
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=105KDAVX44&search=JVC+DVD

you beat me:crap:

Tehgregzor
09-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I dunno, that screen just looks too small...guess that's both an advantage and disadvantage.

azimuth
09-02-2008, 02:16 AM
I dunno, that screen just looks too small...guess that's both an advantage and disadvantage.

it is too small for actually watching movies. music videos and the options you have with music on dvd's makes it advantageous for me. has usb input as well, which is always nice. there are alot of cool things you can do with them. if you watch movies in your car, get a flip out.

Tehgregzor
09-02-2008, 02:18 AM
yeah, me and the female like to take trips. Having a indash video would shut her up... so that'd be very nice.

But i don't want to sacrifice all the good features just for a screen, ya know? I'm going to try to just come up with more money, lol. We'll see how that one goes.

Anniku989
09-02-2008, 02:20 AM
I saw one of those in the local shop and just passed it up (that jvc), but is it an ok deck?

I'm in the same boat, selling this head unit, and have about 350 to spend. Dunno whether to get a pio 980 (or something similar) or a flipout

azimuth
09-02-2008, 02:25 AM
jvc actually makes very good decks. i've liked all of the avx units. i pulled out my jvc kd-avx1, which was the first one with the 3.5 inch screen, and put in the kd-avx44. i loved the avx44 for the whole 2 weeks i had it. stolen by pond scum.

CrispedUp
09-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Maybe you could look at Jensen flip outs.

azimuth
09-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Maybe you could look at Jensen flip outs.

i had a jensen. vm9510 ? it had a really good picture for a cheapo. the mechanism that retracts the screen seemed a little flimsy.

BoxdGM
09-02-2008, 02:43 AM
i got my dual dirt cheap bnib so i cant complain, it has a sub preout(single rca). the internal amp ****** and no hpf so if you plan on using head unit power go better than dual or jensen. i have mine hooked up to an alpine v12 so it sounds pretty good the factory interface is ugly and basic but i never use cds in my car(the xbox is a media jukebox with much better interface and lots of skins.) i am happy with mine but if i was using it for cds with no external amp its pretty disapointing. only bass and treble eq adjustments but i leave everything flat with loud off.
and most the jensens look and sound worse. my friend has a jensen and he has to almost max the volume to make his factory speakers back twhat was halfway on the stock hu.

also a great picture and all i ever watch is divx movies on the box

18inchjeepin
09-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I know alpine makes a regular head unit that playes dvds but doesn't have a screen but an output for one, you could get that and purchase a screen later.

tapout383
09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
i have a pioneer touch screen in my sig id sell for $300 shipped...