PDA

View Full Version : Applying sound deadener to inside of box

Mynameismcgyver
09-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Was told by a box builder that using a spray that you can buy at Wal Mart that is use for noise reduction is a great idea to use on the inside panels of the box..

Any opinions on that?

GLN305
09-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Any type of deadener on the inside of the box will work well. Reducing the resonance of the enclosure will reduce ringing and will tighten the bass. A friend of a friend is doing some experimentation with a high grade aircraft adhesive and floor tiles (vinyl mineral filled) between layers of 1/4" MDF and is getting startling results. His home speaker cabinets sound like knocking on conrete. In other words even a simply spray on rubberized undercoating will help with porosity and damping. Do it! :cool:

Mynameismcgyver
09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Thought so. Makes complete sense. Thanks!

pjhabit
09-03-2008, 04:17 AM
whats this Wal Mart product called? I may give it a try since my new box will be here any day.
I'm guessing it wouldn't have a noticeable effect on port tuning, would it?

Mynameismcgyver
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Rubberized coating...Something like that. You can find it in the automotive section?? Look for a paint can. I think Autozone or Pepboys should sell something similiar too..

GearGuy2001
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
whats this Wal Mart product called? I may give it a try since my new box will be here any day.
I'm guessing it wouldn't have a noticeable effect on port tuning, would it?

As long as it doesnt take up alot of cubes it wouldnt.

Ed Lester
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Rhino Lining FTW.
We have been using it for years.

BTW, sand and fiberglass resin mix is the most dead to sound material that you can use.