PDA

View Full Version : Box building.....first attempt

simpsonbuck
09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I recently purchased a 12" Re Se and I plan to build my own box for it. I was playing around with re's box calculator and I think I'm close to having a "decent" design. It would be great if some more experienced builders gave me some input.

I'm looking to get it as close to Re's specs as possible. It's going in a 08 spectra hatchback. I have plenty of space but I don't really want the height to get above 13".
I'm gonna give it 600w@2ohms.

For some reason it always says one side in 1" shorter than the opposite side. I have to be doing somthing wrong.

audiobahnuser18
09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Are you going ported , sealed or aeros?

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry...slot ported.

Pioneer~Saturn
09-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Go to the RE enclosure designer and type in:

Width: 30
Height: 13
Top depth: 19
Bottom depth: 19
M. thickness: .75
2nd port length: 16

That gets you
-2.321 cubic feet (so about 2.2ish cubes after you drop in the sub)
-35.4Hz tuning
-46 sq inches of port area

Dont think that would do too bad...

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
35hz should give a good blend of loudness without losing alot of punchy output correct?

Most music doesn't dip below 35 anyway right?

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go put those figures in right now.

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 01:39 AM
It's giving me total port length 35.75 and tuned frequency(fb)20.05

Is that correct.

Also, should the port with be 1.5" or 2.5"?

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm confused.....do I ignore the figures that you type in and go by the dimensions below that it calculates? Then take those numbers to figure out the specs. of the box?

Pioneer~Saturn
09-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm confused.....do I ignore the figures that you type in and go by the dimensions below that it calculates? Then take those numbers to figure out the specs. of the box?

Well, if you type in the numbers for the width, height and all that, that i told you...those are in red and you can change those, but the white numbers are in white....you cannot change those, they simply tell you info on the box and change with the red numbers accordingly

EDIT: crap, my bad...use the info i stated before but for the port width put '4'...forgot to include that

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Ok, now I see. Is 4" of port width what most builders go with? It just seems like it might give out noticeable port noise.

But what the hell do I know:D

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Dayton, OH huh......I was born In Hamilton.

You a Buckeye fan?

azimuth
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Ok, now I see. Is 4" of port width what most builders go with? It just seems like it might give out noticeable port noise.

should be fine. if you were to put in (2) 4 inch ports, it would double the length of the ports.

Pioneer~Saturn
09-02-2008, 02:00 AM

With that port you will not have port noise...especially if you round over the port opening and ending...and also round over the turn in the port and put a 45 degree insert in the corner where the port bends..

The width really doesnt have much to do with the port unless you start to get into the 9:1 ratio of height-width....then you get into issues.

With what I gave you, you shouldnt have any issues (especially if you round over the edges and put 45 degree inserts into the corners to help out flow and also strengthen the corners)

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 02:01 AM
should be fine. if you were to put in (2) 4 inch ports, it would double the length of the ports.

You can do to ports? How woould that work? One on each side?

I think properly building one port will give me all the headache I need.

Pioneer~Saturn
09-02-2008, 02:06 AM
You can do to ports? How woould that work? One on each side?

I think properly building one port will give me all the headache I need.

I wouldnt use a pair of 4" ports...I would go off of the specs I pointed out with the slot port...

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok...it still is showing on side to 18.25 and the other side to be 17.5.

How does that work out?

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 02:16 AM
So instead of a 90 degree and where the port breaks I need to make it 45?

How can I get the wood to flex like that?

Thanks for the rounding the edges off tip.

Pioneer~Saturn
09-02-2008, 02:28 AM
So instead of a 90 degree and where the port breaks I need to make it 45?

How can I get the wood to flex like that?

Thanks for the rounding the edges off tip.

No, no bending (though it is possible...but i wont go into that)...you simply make the box just how it looks in the designer...but once everythings together (without the top on yet)...cut 45 degree inserts the height of the enclosure to put in the corners to strengthen them and also help out flow and also help keep your port the same width (or atleast closer)..

Like this..

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/DRoosa/DSCN1557.jpg

Just put it in the corner with some good wood glue and clamp in place

DePratt
09-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Ok...it still is showing on side to 18.25 and the other side to be 17.5.

How does that work out?

wow u are clueless (no offense) but the wood is .75 inches thick so the actual empty space in between in - 1.5in less the actual width

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 02:42 AM
wow u are clueless (no offense) but the wood is .75 inches thick so the actual empty space in between in - 1.5in less the actual width

I am clueless....that's why I'm asking for help.

No offense taken. I'm horrible at math(i'm dyslexic) but give me a engine and I can take it apart and rebuild in one night.

Number just get mixed up.

simpsonbuck
09-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Well, I'm gonna go buy some mdf next day off and I'll post pics of the progress.

Hopefully I can keep all my fingers.

simpsonbuck
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Bought a huge *** sheet 4'x8' of 3/4" mdf from Lowes for 24 bucks. I had them cut it into 3 pieces so I could get it into my car.

Once I get a day off from work I'm gonna start.

Quick question, I have a circular saw I'm gonna make my cuts with. What is the best blade to use for mdf?