PDA

View Full Version : what about a metal box?

mulisharider10
06-23-2003, 10:07 PM
i wanted to know , has enyone ever made a sub box out of metal and if so, what did it sound like. I was planning on making one whith mild steel with lots of braces. if it sounds good i would like to make more and sell them.So if u have any ideas just leave a post.

n0ftInc
06-23-2003, 10:35 PM
haha.. ****.. your a thinker.. :) I wonder.. would it echo or somthin'? Reminds me of old flicks where they flop around tin for thunder.. ..oh well.. Go for it and see what happens..

ss3079
06-23-2003, 11:17 PM
How thick?

If it's thin and you send that thing any kind of power, it's going to flex really bad.

- Steve

violator5spd
06-24-2003, 01:45 AM
I could ask this guy that works with me to make a dual box, with 1" thick steel...then I wouldn't need any lowering springs ;)

Terminator
06-24-2003, 01:48 AM
the only thing you would have to worry about is heat displacement.

evo2k3
06-24-2003, 08:12 AM
1/4" steel is stronger than just about any thickness of mdf, however, I read an article a while back indicating some problems with metal boxes....let me try to find it and get back to you....

mgaidica
06-24-2003, 02:05 PM
i beleive metal bounces sound waves very easily, which isnt really good when designing a system, thats why mdf is used because its so "dead". its worth a try if its not costing a fortune, and might look sweet if u polish up the metal and such..

evo2k3
06-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by mgaidica
i beleive metal bounces sound waves very easily, which isnt really good when designing a system, thats why mdf is used because its so "dead". its worth a try if its not costing a fortune, and might look sweet if u polish up the metal and such..

if thats the only problem, you may be able to line the inside with deadener, though you will be loosing some volume in that case....I think this box may cost you a lot, you plan on welding it shut, right?

mulisharider10
06-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Yeah, i plan on every seem welded shut. Also , have a foam liner similar to dynamat to line the inside of the box. I was plannig 1/8 ga. mild steel and building a support frame on the inside with angle iron. Im a sheet metal worker, so all this stuff comes to me easy.

er1kkull
06-24-2003, 07:48 PM
CHROME IT!!!!!!
diamond plate it

that might be a little heavier then most people want...........

mulisharider10
06-24-2003, 08:50 PM
yeah, thats what i was planning on doing. Covering it in dimond plate to give it a different look.

jbl_marshall21
06-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by mulisharider10
yeah, thats what i was planning on doing. Covering it in dimond plate to give it a different look.

sweet

DiB
06-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Often wondered what would happen to a sub in a metal box. I wonder if sealed would work at all or if ported is the only way.

evo2k3
06-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mulisharider10
Yeah, i plan on every seem welded shut. Also , have a foam liner similar to dynamat to line the inside of the box. I was plannig 1/8 ga. mild steel and building a support frame on the inside with angle iron. Im a sheet metal worker, so all this stuff comes to me easy.

why not just use 1/4" and not even bother bracing? not that I dont like it...but the diamond plate look is far from new....but I like your idea, love to see how it works.