PDA

View Full Version : any idea's?

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 03:53 AM
so i started with a kicker 15" L5 in a sealed box with 1.5 cu ft. pushing it with a zx750.1 pushing about 890 to it i hit 140.6 on the dash. i wanted more so i built a new box. it has 5 cu ft and is tuned at 32 hz. now i know thats low for spl but i still thought i'd get more of an increase then i did. i only hit a 140.8 on the dash with that. i'm firing the sub up and port up at the back of the trunk in my integra. any other idea's on what i need to do to get more out of it? i know i need to tune a box for a higher freq. but should i make the box smaller or keep it the same? i have no other idea's on what to do so please help

skadude016
08-31-2008, 03:56 AM
ya. dont fire up on both. fire back on both

skadude016
08-31-2008, 03:56 AM
if its a trunk i would never fire at the trunk unless you had to

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 03:58 AM
if its a trunk i would never fire at the trunk unless you had to

but it's an integra so it's a hatchback. everyone's told me to fire both up

skadude016
08-31-2008, 04:03 AM
but it's an integra so it's a hatchback. everyone's told me to fire both up

k. you called it a trunk. ya firing both up and firing port back and sub up works well. maybe shrink to 4.5 cubes and tune to 37 ish hz with lots of port area

Rashaddd
08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
either way you should get a pretty significant increase from sealed to ported...try just aiming the box differently or placing it a little differently...theoretically you should be able to hit at least a 142 by porting it if u already were at a 140 ish sealed

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 04:11 AM
either way you should get a pretty significant increase from sealed to ported...try just aiming the box differently or placing it a little differently...theoretically you should be able to hit at least a 142 by porting it if u already were at a 140 ish sealed

yea thats what i also thought. the only thing i could think of is since i tuned it so low i didn't have the power to push so thats why i really didn't gain anything out of it. at first i had the port firing up at the front of the trunk and i was only hitting a 139.6 or so. then turned it so the port is firing at the back of the trunk still firing up and i gained another db out of it. but it's still not what i was expecting. it sounds alot louder but only at the lower notes which it seems to rumble pretty good i thought

skadude016
08-31-2008, 04:14 AM
yea thats what i also thought. the only thing i could think of is since i tuned it so low i didn't have the power to push so thats why i really didn't gain anything out of it. at first i had the port firing up at the front of the trunk and i was only hitting a 139.6 or so. then turned it so the port is firing at the back of the trunk still firing up and i gained another db out of it. but it's still not what i was expecting. it sounds alot louder but only at the lower notes which it seems to rumble pretty good i thought

ya thats what it is. you have an exaggerated low end and barely any higher hz. Tune higher and shrink the box some. Probably wont be as musical. but it should put up a higher number

Rashaddd
08-31-2008, 04:17 AM

tuned that low it should be a good decibel or more louder at all bass frequencies really, it may be you're just getting cancellation for some reason with the backwave, try stuffing any area behind the box with some pillows or something and see if u gain a little

or does your car flex alot? like the hatch? could be too much pressure escaping but at a 140 i don't think thats ur problem

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 04:23 AM
tuned that low it should be a good decibel or more louder at all bass frequencies really, it may be you're just getting cancellation for some reason with the backwave, try stuffing any area behind the box with some pillows or something and see if u gain a little

or does your car flex alot? like the hatch? could be too much pressure escaping but at a 140 i don't think thats ur problem

yea i don't think thats my problem. sure it does somewhat but i don't think it's enough to do that. i justs don't know what to do now. i wanted to hit at least 142 with it and i was pretty sure i could. i just didn't know if maybe my box could be to big and i'd be louder in a smaller box or what

skadude016
08-31-2008, 04:30 AM
yea i don't think thats my problem. sure it does somewhat but i don't think it's enough to do that. i justs don't know what to do now. i wanted to hit at least 142 with it and i was pretty sure i could. i just didn't know if maybe my box could be to big and i'd be louder in a smaller box or what

ya thats cool dont listen to what i gotta say lol

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 04:37 AM
ya thats cool dont listen to what i gotta say lol

oh ***** sorry man i looked right over that i didn't even see you posted again. so how much do you think i should shrink the box? 4 cu ft maybe even 3.5? and what should i tune it to?

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 01:40 PM
any othe idea's? i sure would appreciate the help

skadude016
08-31-2008, 02:00 PM
oh ***** sorry man i looked right over that i didn't even see you posted again. so how much do you think i should shrink the box? 4 cu ft maybe even 3.5? and what should i tune it to?
its cool :laugh:
4 would do well. gotta remember L5's and L7's have more cone area than standard round 15's. I would say 4 cubes tuned to 37-38hz would yeild a higher SPL number. Do you know what your resonant frequency is?

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 02:17 PM
its cool :laugh:
4 would do well. gotta remember L5's and L7's have more cone area than standard round 15's. I would say 4 cubes tuned to 37-38hz would yeild a higher SPL number. Do you know what your resonant frequency is?

great now i'm really going to sound like a noob here haha. well i guess at building boxes i am. but no i don't know it the sad thing is i'm not even sure what that is:(

skadude016
08-31-2008, 02:37 PM
great now i'm really going to sound like a noob here haha. well i guess at building boxes i am. but no i don't know it the sad thing is i'm not even sure what that is:(

there are plenty of guys on here me included that can give you a cut sheet which will give you the exact measurements of the cuts that you will need. and where they go. All you gotta do is build it to the specs of the cut sheet. and if thats to challenging you could have it built :)

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 02:47 PM
there are plenty of guys on here me included that can give you a cut sheet which will give you the exact measurements of the cuts that you will need. and where they go. All you gotta do is build it to the specs of the cut sheet. and if thats to challenging you could have it built :)

i just can't deside on what i want to go with. i want the box to be as loud as possible but at the same time i still want it to sound good. maybe i just need to build i comp box and still have my everyday box. if i went with just a comp box what would be best to have that tuned to?

skadude016
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
i just can't deside on what i want to go with. i want the box to be as loud as possible but at the same time i still want it to sound good. maybe i just need to build i comp box and still have my everyday box. if i went with just a comp box what would be best to have that tuned to?

honestly the box i mentioned would be the best of both worlds. Do you know what your peak frequency is when you burp?

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 02:54 PM
honestly the box i mentioned would be the best of both worlds. Do you know what your peak frequency is when you burp?

are you talking about in the box i have now? well i guess either way no. i was told to tune the box to 40 hz in the first place by another guy that owns an integra but i just never did

skadude016
08-31-2008, 03:08 PM
im talking about when you do your tests to see how many db's you are hitting what frequency is your peak db frequency? L5's and L7's do well with a little bit higher tuning and still retain a good low end.

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 03:46 PM
im talking about when you do your tests to see how many db's you are hitting what frequency is your peak db frequency? L5's and L7's do well with a little bit higher tuning and still retain a good low end.

i just ran a sweep and put it on some song's. it was just some type of meter i know this guys has. it's like 2 tens of a db off thats it. but it wont tell you freq or anything so i really have no way of knowing. and i don't think there is anymore comps here this year so i can't find out that way.

skadude016
08-31-2008, 04:38 PM
i just ran a sweep and put it on some song's. it was just some type of meter i know this guys has. it's like 2 tens of a db off thats it. but it wont tell you freq or anything so i really have no way of knowing. and i don't think there is anymore comps here this year so i can't find out that way.

hm ok. You more than likely peak from 43hz-50hz so building a box tuned to 38hz you would see an increase in SPL on the meter. and probably an increase in loudness to your ear

tsupra98
08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
hm ok. You more than likely peak from 43hz-50hz so building a box tuned to 38hz you would see an increase in SPL on the meter. and probably an increase in loudness to your ear

so would there be anyway to retune the box i already have now to that so i wouldn't have to rebuild another? the port is 12" by 3.5 " and it goes 12.25" into the box

tsupra98
09-02-2008, 03:35 AM
any other idea's?