PDA

View Full Version : overpowered components

s2groove
06-22-2003, 11:47 PM
who has a setup like me where they have more power to their components than what the manufacturer says they can handle? i got some dynaudio's that have 150 watts goin to each that the manufacturer says can only handle 100. My car sounds great now but would i have to worry about reliability anytime soon? who has their components like this and for how long w/o problems?

Aurorav8
06-23-2003, 12:23 AM
As long as you keep the gains down on the amp you shouldn't have to worry about it. BUT, 50 watts over seems like quite a bit. I guess it would depend on the amp and weather it's underrated, and by how much.

slick316
06-23-2003, 11:30 PM
hah, i got 300watts going to EACH side of my HEX components, so far, i dont think there is a problem, but i have my gains down really low. just be careful with the gains the volume knob.

burtonsnow83
06-24-2003, 12:06 PM
one thing you have to worry about is voiding the warranty on them, most companies won't honor a warranty if their products are played over the rms.

Tedro
06-24-2003, 04:18 PM
so far with what i have run into is that the tweeter blows faster or just blows.. I used to have a set of components that i overpowered and I lost a couple of tweeters and most of the time when i turned it up and they started to sound good the tweeter would cut out, overheat, you know that tweeter protect feture on components, untill i truned it down and they would come back on and all would be fine. I would want them to be over powered than they be under powered any day.