PDA

View Full Version : Pre-drilling?

smokeoff
06-21-2003, 02:02 PM
how important is it to pre-drill holes for the screws. Does anybody here do that or is it a waist of time.

violator5spd
06-21-2003, 02:06 PM
I've never made a box before, but I have worked with wood. It's my understanding that pre-drilling holes can be very important. If you drill a hole, no matter what size, the wood shouldn't split because the bit is pulling wood up. But when you screw, it pushes the wood out and can cause it to split. If you have a hole to screw into, the chances of splitting the wood is less.

ss3079
06-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by smokeoff
how important is it to pre-drill holes for the screws. Does anybody here do that or is it a waist of time.

I do it, and suggest you do to.

If you have a hole to screw into, the chances of splitting the wood is less

- Steve

smokeoff
06-21-2003, 02:46 PM
thanks, Now since I can't put a screw in strait maybe I can drill striat.

maylar
06-21-2003, 05:47 PM
MDF has a nasty habit of splitting if you don't predrill the holes. And it strips out easily if you make the holes too big. Be careful, choose the right bit.

paikiah
06-21-2003, 10:13 PM
But if the hole is slightly larger, there's an easy fix..

get a wooden toothpick into the hole and tighten the screw. The screw will then be secured tight. :)

ss3079
06-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Yeah...glue a bunch of toothpicks in there...the glue will expand the toothpicks and you're good to go.

- Steve

jbl_marshall21
06-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
Yeah...glue a bunch of toothpicks in there...the glue will expand the toothpicks and you're good to go.

- Steve

i've never heard of that. so u just put toothpicks in the whole to kinda fill it in and then just screw the screw in. is that right?

ss3079
06-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by jbl_marshall21
i've never heard of that. so u just put toothpicks in the whole to kinda fill it in and then just screw the screw in. is that right?

Yeah, put some carpenters glue in the hole and shove some toothpicks in there. Wait for it to dry, and screw the screw in.

- Steve

musthavemuzk
06-22-2003, 11:06 PM
i hate the time it takes to predrill but i always do it.

for typical drywall screws which are #6 use a 3/32" bit. i found this out by looking at the drill bits one day. in amonst them were countersinks with bits for predrilling. i found the size of screw i was going to use and then went with the pair of cheap bits in one package to predrill the holes as i already had a countersink.

some use larger screws that might need a larger hole than the 3/32"

if you go to a knowledgable place they can hook you up with the correct size.

a time saver is to have a cheap corded drill with the drill bit in it and have a friend run that while you screw or vice versa.

i also countersink the screws.
with drywall screws they do not pull themselves in as well as some of the other screws do.

Monty

paikiah
06-22-2003, 11:13 PM
I use my rotary tool to pre-drill and sink holes in them. The bit's small enough to fit the rotary tool's head. Even quicker if you use wood drills, the one with the pointed edge on top...