PDA

View Full Version : Sealed or ported-specific question

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
i gota FI Q 15. It's in a 4^3 ft box right now and its pretty loud. i was just wondering how much different it would sound in a sealed box. I know the initial bump would be harder, but would it hit different frequencies better? and how would it carry out the bass notes?

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:12 PM
why the **** is your box so big? It don't need all that air 2.5 is fine for sealed. Sealed boxes should be great throughout the subbass spctrum. I hear sealed is the way to go for low end extension also.

ported generally get louder around tuning

duece212
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
indeed...my 15q was in 4 cubes ported and I thought that was a little large

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:17 PM
why the **** is your box so big? It don't need all that air 2.5 is fine for sealed. Sealed boxes should be great throughout the subbass spctrum. I hear sealed is the way to go for low end extension also.

ported generally get louder around tuning

its in a ported box

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
i gota FI Q 15. It's in a 4^3 ft box right now and its pretty loud. i was just wondering how much different it would sound in a ported box. I know the initial bump would be harder, but would it hit different frequencies better? and how would it carry out the bass notes?

your initial post would lead me to believe otherwise.

Rashaddd
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
its in a ported box

Oh sorry, we didn't think you were retarded

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
your initial post would lead me to believe otherwise.

my bad. i meant a ported box. i changed it. uh its hard to keep track of what your wanting to say

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh sorry, we didn't think you were retarded

what the hell are you talking about? just a simple mistake

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
what the hell are you talking about? just a simple mistake

let it go in one ear and out the other. Sealed boxes sound great in my opinion...ported is gonna be louder around the tuning frequency but sealed should give (generally speaking) a better overall frequency response over the whole range.

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
let it go in one ear and out the other. Sealed boxes sound great in my opinion...ported is gonna be louder around the tuning frequency but sealed should give (generally speaking) a better overall frequency response over the whole range.

ok. it's tuned now to 32 hz. i'm not sure how low it will pick up. but will it pick up lower notes if i go sealed?

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:28 PM
ok. it's tuned now to 32 hz. i'm not sure how low it will pick up. but will it pick up lower notes if i go sealed?

honestly...i have no idea if it will or not but i know my 15" Mags in a sealed box hit the low lows very nicely....Lil Wyte Hoods Run Down on my mags slammed hard

DidUHearThat?
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM

+1

If you want SQ, go sealed near the max box size recommended. If you want louder then go ported.

Rashaddd
08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

If you tune low enough, the ported box will have more output than sealed at all frequencies. If you just want that 100% low end extension just tune to mid-high 20's and it'll hit 20hz harder than sealed would

then again you're already tuned pretty low, so you probably wouldn't gain much by tuning lower

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
honestly...i have no idea if it will or not but i know my 15" Mags in a sealed box hit the low lows very nicely....Lil Wyte Hoods Run Down on my mags slammed hard

when i played that song i thought my sub was going to jump out of my box. it was moving but i couldn't hear anything.

Rashaddd
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
when i played that song i thought my sub was going to jump out of my box. it was moving but i couldn't hear anything.

Thats because that note you're talking about is below the hearing frequency spectrum of humans (huge fall off below 20hz)

DidUHearThat?
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
If you want to hear what it would sound like just stuff some foam rubber in your port and seal it temporarilly. Be aware that an oversized sealed box will reduce the power handling of the driver and you could blow it if you give it too much power. So keep the power levels resonalbe. Don't pound the **** of out in an oversized sealed box. Smaller sealed boxes improve power handling, but reduce low frequencies. Everything is a trade off.

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Thats because that note you're talking about is below the hearing frequency spectrum of humans (huge fall off below 20hz)

word....you can feel it but not hear it...other the the sub fluttering

Rashaddd
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Oh I can hear it, I hear my sunroof moving in and out an inch or two and my doors slamming on their hinges violently ;)

DidUHearThat?
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Also because frequencies below the port tunning are being cancelled out and it is effectively free aired below the tunning frequency. So the sub is running full tilt, but not producing any sound at those frequencies.
Which is why sealed boxes go lower.

Rashaddd
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Also because frequencies below the port tunning are being cancelled out and it is effectively free aired below the tunning frequency. So the sub is running full tilt, but not producing any sound at those frequencies.

true, low enough below tuning and your sub turns into a fan

bonesninja
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM

mine was sealed and you can't hear the last note at all

Buck
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM

well i thought it was going to rip up the surround on my sub and i was like jeez and turned that **** down. this sub is loud as ballz already. personally i can't hardly drive with it at full tilt. just looking at the options i have.

i always compare everything to the song Put on by jeezy just because it has the 4 different bass notes. it hits the 2 and 3 ones hard but has trouble with the 4th one. it will pick it up sometimes. but then again the sub is still pretty new so its still stiff. so maybe it will pick it up because it will become easier for the sub to move i guess.

btw does anyone know the bass notes on put on?