PDA

View Full Version : My sub is coming out of my box

Buck
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
well after playing it for a week, my sub is in the process of strippin the screws out of the wood that are holding the sub in. its 3/4 mdf, and they are wood screws.

i was going to put another sheet of mdf on the front, and cut another sub hole and then get some 1.5 inch wood screws and see if that would work.

if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it.

babaganoush123
08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
id move the sub a little like around...cant explain it. or just thrown on another mdf sheet on top of that...

Buck
08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
id move the sub a little like around...cant explain it. or just thrown on another mdf sheet on top of that...

thats what i was planning to do, just throw another 3/4 mdf sheet on top of it and hope it doesnt happen again

babaganoush123
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
fi q is a great sub i heard one off 1000watts clean and gets pretty loud. yea do that throw another sheet.

silvercookie
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
put liquid nails or stong as wood glue in the hole and on the screw before you screw it down.

Buck
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
fi q is a great sub i heard one off 1000watts clean and gets pretty loud. yea do that throw another sheet.

ya mine on 1200 watts and its loud

put liquid nails or stong as wood glue in the hole and on the screw before you screw it down.

i'll try that

wasted ink
08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
put the sub in the right way to begin with.. ditch the wood screws.. line up your holes, drill holes to fit tee nuts, insert tee nut into hole, fill around it with liquid nails (optional), find matching bolts and screw them in.. believe me it will stay put.

elite08
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
DUCKTAPE!

haha, JK.
Drill in the screw, then take it out, put wood glue/silicone on the screw and then reinsert the screw. And it wont move.

THUMPPER
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
proper wood screws will not let loose unless they are over tightened
do NOT use a drill or a power screw driver to tighten up the sub mounting
screws...they only need to be snugged by hand

T Nuts work well but they strip just as easy as MDF if they are over tightened
and when T Nuts are used I would recommend gluing the suckers in..
sometimes when T Nuts are used it is possible to push to hard on the screw
and the T Nut will come loose inside the box and free spin..it can be a real
pain in the AZZ to get them loose

wasted ink
08-26-2008, 12:24 AM
i forgot to mention that... that happened to me and a friend a few weeks ago... he tried tightening them before the **** even cured... thats what you get for rushing..

99grandprixGT
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
proper wood screws will not let loose unless they are over tightened
do NOT use a drill or a power screw driver to tighten up the sub mounting
screws...they only need to be snugged by hand

ya and with screw driver yuor less likly to miss and make a hole in the surround:mad:

mlstrass
08-26-2008, 01:07 AM
use wood glue and toothpicks to shim up the holes. Let it dry overnight and do NOT overthighten them next time...

mlstrass
08-26-2008, 01:08 AM

If the hole is stripped it won't tighten down enough, so just using glue won't help the problem...

wasted ink
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
ya and with screw driver yuor less likly to miss and make a hole in the surround:mad:

lol ive seen that too many times..

zack39648
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
hmm i have never slpped off a screw iwth a drill or a screw driver im really cautious when screwing them in whe i use a screwdrive i wrap my hand around it .. whne i use a drill i go slow and put my hand flat between the screw and sub..

peas247
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM

ive seen so many people do it, and i laugh every time

mcsoul
08-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I was going to make a thread very similar to this.

I was going to ask if there are any tricks to box building
if you know 100% that you want to be removing the subs
often (say 10 times a year) to adjust and fiddle with the (round)
port legnth to adjust the box tune.

Then I thought I must be stupid because 3/4 mdf will do what
it does, all I can do is possibly pre-drill to avoid cracking.
But that's about it right?

lvjeffro
08-27-2008, 07:02 AM
threaded inserts
http://www.yardleyproducts.com/

glue and toothpicks work good at fixing stripped out holes in wood...

Buck
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
got it fixed :) just used some bigger wood screws and rotated my sub some

teen
08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
threaded inserts

why use tooth picks? i seriously just take a twig/stick from outside and glue it in the hole.

oh, and double baffle with 1 1/2" screws FTW.

fbi90909
08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
why not just turn the sub maybe 1-1.5" and make fresh holes. the sub's label would probably be at an angle but either way its better than having to put a whole new baffle on.

edit: nevermind i see you took care of it. i didn't get to page 2 :p:

mcsoul
08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
threaded inserts

Holy sweetness, I'm glad I asked.
Thanks!

lvjeffro
08-28-2008, 03:02 PM
why use tooth picks? i seriously just take a twig/stick from outside and glue it in the hole.

oh, and double baffle with 1 1/2" screws FTW.

toothpicks because they are readily avail. and they are small enough to stuff them into pretty much any sized hole...Twig will work too...

Holy sweetness, I'm glad I asked.
Thanks!

Glad you like them, I will be using these and security screws whenever i get around to making an enclosure...

luvinthebass
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
toothpicks because they are readily avail. and they are small enough to stuff them into pretty much any sized hole...Twig will work too...

Glad you like them, I will be using these and security screws whenever i get around to making an enclosure...

haha

TSGP
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
if i saw someone that used twigs or toothpicks for an install I would never stop laughing

luvinthebass
08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
if they had twigs in the sub screw holes and a cardboard box.

teen
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM
i had to use twigs to fill the holes for where my ports were screwed down. there was no wood left for them to grab and they kept coming out.

no way i was gunna build a hole new front wall for that.

mackin
08-30-2008, 12:41 AM

my friend had his subs installed at a shop and they put a hole right through his dustcap. i lol'ed. it sounded like a hurricane when it played. luckily they owned up to it and replaced it.

basshedz06
08-30-2008, 07:57 AM
no one asked how long was his screws i am willing to bet that was his issue i never had the issue of screws stripping unless i over tighten them and never had an issue where subs come out of the box. got a new 15 in a test box with 4 screws in it and about 1200 watts shootin up its *** and it doesn't even act as if it is gonna come out of the box, and i use 1.5 to 2 inch screws on my subs and 1.75 on my box every 10 inches

mcsoul
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

http://www.yardleyproducts.com/fiber-sert_threaded-in_inserts_regular.php

Will the threads pass air?
If so, will loctite take care of that?