PDA

View Full Version : lossless codec support via USB

Tywin
08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Do any head units do this?

buggsson
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Absolutely. There are HUs from both Kenwood, Clarion and Alpine that support AAC, any other format was not of my interest, so I cannot comment if there are other still.

Tywin
08-26-2008, 01:05 AM
AAC is not necessarily lossless.

discord
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Be careful. A lot of the companies lie about their products supporting lossless. The Alpine X100, for instance, only supports lossless files with bitrates up to 576kbps, which is just slightly better than mp3. Apple lossless files can go all the way up to 1411kbps (theoretically, anyway) depending on the complexity of the audio.

ghart999
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Be careful. A lot of the companies lie about their products supporting lossless. The Alpine X100, for instance, only supports lossless files with bitrates up to 576kbps, which is just slightly better than mp3. Apple lossless files can go all the way up to 1411kbps (theoretically, anyway) depending on the complexity of the audio.

Really? I just order this HU with the intent of ripping all to Apple lossless. That will **** if such a limitation exists. Do you happen to have a source for this. Not arguing. Just want to be sure before I waste my money.....

Tywin
09-17-2008, 08:04 PM

I was under the impression that if you use the Ipod dock connector to interface with the head unit that you are using the Ipod itself to play the files. Am I wrong?

Ipod is certainly not the best portable player, however, and I was hoping that I could use a USB cable with one of the premium portables.

buggsson
09-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Really? I just order this HU with the intent of ripping all to Apple lossless. That will **** if such a limitation exists. Do you happen to have a source for this. Not arguing. Just want to be sure before I waste my money.....

I've just checked the Alpine iDA-X200 manual, and bugger, it is true, it only supports AAC up to 576 as stated earlier. I was going to buy this one, but now I just don't know anymore. Need to do some reevaluating I guess.

ghart999
09-18-2008, 12:28 AM
I've just checked the Alpine iDA-X200 manual, and bugger, it is true, it only supports AAC up to 576 as stated earlier. I was going to buy this one, but now I just don't know anymore. Need to do some reevaluating I guess.

Where in the manual did you find it?

Tywin
09-18-2008, 03:44 AM

This is clearly in the section on using a USB connection. As I suspected, if you are using a dock connector, this limitation does not apply. It is an unfortunate limitation nonetheless.

However, I don't think there are many portable music players that support Apple lossless (Toshiba? Sony?) and I suspect most of you are using Ipods and having a tizzy over something that isn't a problem for you.

buggsson
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Where in the manual did you find it?

Page 18

buggsson
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
However, I don't think there are many portable music players that support Apple lossless (Toshiba? Sony?) and I suspect most of you are using Ipods and having a tizzy over something that isn't a problem for you.

Yes that might be, but for me it is a problem, as I did not want to buy an iPod, I want to use a hard drive, so now I don't know what to do. iPod next?

For you iPod users, I saw one guy, he claimed that he could play his lossless files just fine through the Alpine, so for you there is definitely hope as stated above.

ghart999
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Page 18 says AAC only goes to 576. But isn't AAC and apple lossless two different things?

ghart999
09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Well I just called Alpine Tech Support and they said it does not do apple lossless at all. WTF!!!

Can anyone confirm this for me please.

ghart999
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Another dumb question. iTunes only lets you rip to AAC at a max of 320kbs. So what's the point of the X100/200 playing back up to 576kbs?

Unless they are using the term AAC to mean apple lossless.

I am so confused now.

buggsson
09-18-2008, 09:41 PM
No, I was also putting my head where it does not belong, and mixed up the formats as well. AAC and Apple lossless is not the same thing as I understand it, even though the files can have the same ending, that .m4a but is not the same thing, according to Wikipedia. I guess it was the file ending that fooled me. (I checked iTunes today and AAC and Apple lossless is two different settings when you rip.

Wikipedia on AAC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
Wikipedia on Apple lossless: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless_Encoder

So now the quest for finding a HU that plays lossless from a HD continues.

Minburn
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Not compressed lossless (I was searching out this for flac files), but I found out this about two recent installs: a Pioneer 800PRS doesn't support *.wav through USB (I didn't pay attention to this when purchasing) and a Pioneer 700BT does support *.wav through USB (again, didn't pay attention). Nice surprise with the 700BT, and it works flawless with a WD 160GB HDD. With *.wav, a little over 200 CD's. Plenty for this cat.

Tywin
11-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Not compressed lossless (I was searching out this for flac files), but I found out this about two recent installs: a Pioneer 800PRS doesn't support *.wav through USB (I didn't pay attention to this when purchasing) and a Pioneer 700BT does support *.wav through USB (again, didn't pay attention). Nice surprise with the 700BT, and it works flawless with a WD 160GB HDD. With *.wav, a little over 200 CD's. Plenty for this cat.

Does it recognize tags on wav files? I want the artist/album/track info as well as a mini image of the album cover to show up on my screen.

Looking at the Alpine manual again it doesn't appear that they support wav files. It's a shame because those digital media receivers have the best displays.

buggsson
11-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Does it recognize tags on wav files? I want the artist/album/track info as well as a mini image of the album cover to show up on my screen.

Looking at the Alpine manual again it doesn't appear that they support wav files. It's a shame because those digital media receivers have the best displays.

Here what Alpine Sweden said to me a while back regarding doable formats from an iPod:
If you use the fullspeed interface on the iDA-X100 you can do any format, because you will then be using the iPods DAC, it's only when using the USB cable that restrictions occur.

I guess that will be the same with all iDA-X HUs, I can't recall?

Edit: I might add that that would mean: any format supported by an iPod, of course.

Tywin
11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Here what Alpine Sweden said to me a while back regarding doable formats from an iPod:
If you use the fullspeed interface on the iDA-X100 you can do any format, because you will then be using the iPods DAC, it's only when using the USB cable that restrictions occur.

I guess that will be the same with all iDA-X HUs, I can't recall?

Edit: I might add that that would mean: any format supported by an iPod, of course.

I already knew all of that from inspecting Apline's web site. I don't want to use an iPod.

buggsson
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I already knew all of that from inspecting Apline's web site. I don't want to use an iPod.

Then I fear that your options will be few, if any. I've looked at quite a few HUs, and at least, it is not a common feature. I really would like to know what the problem is, transferring lossless via USB is nothing for the audio industry, only for the HU guys?