PDA

View Full Version : How to build a box

joesf
06-21-2003, 12:46 AM
I was wondering if there is any special technique in building a ported box or it is jsut a matter of screwing the MDF together sealing the ends and I was also woundering what type of sealent to use to seal the box and where to use it on the inside or the out side?

mgaidica
06-21-2003, 02:18 PM
well ported can sometimes be called a little harder than sealed, and it is, but not that hard at all. Every box needs to be sealed completly unless its ported, but even then every corner and edge needs to be sealed. In my expriences with building boxs, if you use anough liquid nails on all sides when ur screwing the peices together it doesnt even need sealent. If there is a part on tho box where i see some liquid nails hasnt splurged out when i screw it together, ill either throw some wood glue in there then liquid nails over it, or just spread the liquid nails on it. Any sealent will work though, for the most part... Sealing it in the inside will usually be easier, because u have concave angles and such, but i usually make sure its sealed from inside and out.

Only "tricks" for a ported box is calculate all ur measurements and think it through before u cut.. But like ive said before, when building simple box's, u can really only make a $10 mistake, cause thats how much the wood costs.

n0ftInc
06-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Question time..
In a ported box.. What would be the differences between the two..?
**Tuning High / Tuning Low
**Long Port / Short Port
**Circular Ports / Slotted Ports
**Port Area.. another thing.. what is Port Noise..?

Sorry.. Newbie In Training.. :D

mgaidica
06-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by n0ftInc
Question time..
In a ported box.. What would be the differences between the two..?
**Tuning High / Tuning Low
**Long Port / Short Port
**Circular Ports / Slotted Ports
**Port Area.. another thing.. what is Port Noise..?

Sorry.. Newbie In Training.. :D

1. Tuning high will give u a better extension of higher frequency's, while low will have a better extension of lower frequencies..

2. Longer will tune lower, shorter will make it tunned higher.. but u find out port length by the sub and box volume, not just guessing.

3. doesnt matter, port volume is more important, although there isnt a set number.. the larger, the better in most case's.

4. Port noise is air turbulance, when the sub push's and pulls it moves air, of course, and when u have sharp edges or the air hitting something it will make a noise.. (aerodynamics)

n0ftInc
06-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by mgaidica
4. Port noise is air turbulance, when the sub push's and pulls it moves air, of course, and when u have sharp edges or the air hitting something it will make a noise.. (aerodynamics)
Is it an extreamly noticable thing..?

ShaunMac
06-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by n0ftInc
Is it an extreamly noticable thing..?
It can be.

n0ftInc
06-24-2003, 12:14 AM
hmm.. thanks ya'll.. I'll be sure to get a shitload of help when makin my first.. :)