PDA

View Full Version : High power + box design?

Saint211
08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
so I have been planning a new system. The plans are upgraded nightshades w/ 2000 watts rms to each one.

I have been making rough desings for a box, will likely be around 1.7 cubes(per sub) after displacement, tuned to 37 or 38 hz. I will probably make two boxes, one sub and one port per box. The reason for this is it is much easier for me to get two separate boxes in my trunk then rotate/place them than it is to get one dual box in there. They will be placed sub and port towards the back.

The material will be .75 inch MDF. any way I build it, it will likely have a dual layer baffle, but my question is this:

With 2000 to each sub, will .75 be thick/sturdy enough with internal bracing, or should I do a dual layer around the whole box as well? Either way I think I will incorporate some metal rods through the box... tightened up to add rigidity.

1.5" thick is doable, but it takes more room, and room is tight in this trunk.

what do yall think?

da box king
08-21-2008, 01:58 PM
.75" is fine all around, just double up on the baffle..internal bracing should be enough....and is the cu. ft you stated enough for a nightshade? I don't think you have enough space for 2 but I could be wrong

Saint211
08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Jacob reccomended 1.5-1.75 cubes per sub. When I said 1.7 i meant per sub, whether I make 2 single boxes or one dual sub box.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

mlstrass
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
you'll be fine, especially with a smaller box like that. If needed add some window or strap bracing...

Saint211
08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok, I think when building im gonna build it all but the baffle first. Itll be .75 all around, that way I can use pipe strap and strips of mdf to brace, as well as put in the bolts for speaker connection. Lastly, I'll add the 1.5" baffle with rods coming through from the back of the enclosure.

Should be sturdy enough.

Any other insight? Thanks guys

Skip01
08-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeh thatll work, box shouldn't be that big where it'll flex a whole lot, but some mdf strips along the other sides screwed together would be better. Or double all around. Should do some nice numbers