PDA

View Full Version : bulding new box

quins90lac
08-19-2008, 09:25 PM
ok im going to be building a new box its going to be 15x15 square and be 38 inch long from what i under stand from the 12 volts volume calculator its going to be like 4.3 cubes with 2 3inch round ports tuned to 35 hertz now if i don't put in a divider im only going to have to make the ports 2.6 inches long if i put in a divider there going to have to be 7 and a half long so should i divide or not .Also would it be worth the trouble to do a castle joint on the side like so _l"l_l"l_l"l_ to make it stronger i just don't want to take all the time to build it and have it falling apart on me .That and eventually im going to upgrade to some pioneer champ series TS-W307D2|D4 so i want a box that can handle them :confused:

quins90lac
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
come on some one please help me im tring to find out so i can get the box built .i planing on doing it this weekend .from what i have planed out it should be a nice box and i want it to last a good long time so im not having to build another one every time i turn around it seams like the corners would have more gluing surface if i did the corners like this _l"l_l"l_l"l_ on all 4 sides interlocking .and i want to know if this would be good plan or should i just use _______ edges all the way around

boomzilla
08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
it can hold better if you can interlock the joints, but i see that rarely unless theyre pro boxes.
good wood glue will bond the pieces together so well, tthe wood around the joint will break before the actual glue will.

so any which way will be fine aslong as you have good wood glue.

quins90lac
08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
so should i use Elmer's or tightbond 3 and as far as screws go i was thinking 1 1/2 drywall screws or would that be to long ? the subs that are going in it are 2 12inch 800w max lighting audio's i know probity not the best but in my opinion they sound good for being cheap paid like 90 a piece for them like 5-6 year's ago and there still going strong . as bad as it sounds i kinda wish they would blow so i can talk my wife in to letting me get the set of pioneers ive had my eye on .

cycloneman
08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I would re-think the 2 3" ports for a pair of 12's. Two 4" ports that are about 9.75" each will give you a tuning of about 35Hz, and you won't have all the port noise.

cycloneman
08-20-2008, 08:59 PM
And either elmers or tightbond will work great, I'm a fan of tightbond. 1 1/2" screws will be fine, just make sure to pre-drill before putting those screws in.

quins90lac
08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
acording to the port length calculator on www.the12volt.com 2 3 inch ports 7.5 inches long would give me 35 Hz . and the ports im using are out of my other box i got in now that's falling apart (prefab realty badly made ) and i figured ide reuse them to keap the cost down cause wifey said i can make another box but im on a budget and i don't have the check book any more since i kinda spent $150 on a new deck that was posed to go on getting a tooth pulled but it stopped hurting so i spent it on a deck instead

cycloneman
08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree that the 2 3" ports could get you tuned to 35Hz.......just saying that you'll probably get a ton of port noise.

quins90lac
08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
well started building my new box today its gong perty good .Its a shame though its looks so nice and i got to stick it in my trunk .its 1/2 inch mdf and I'm using 1-2 solid aspen bracing and putting the screws in to it .i figured it would be better to put the screws in to a hard wood rather then the mdf . Im gluing it all together with tightbond ll (highly recommend it) . the mdf is really nice to work with but gd that **** is heavy epically when its a 4-8 sheat only size they had

quins90lac
08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
pic's up tomorrow night

quins90lac
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
well i thoght ide be done by now but i ran out of wood for the braces and out of dry wall screws so its kinda at a stand still untill i get some more i post picks when i get it all done

quins90lac
08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
ok finally got my box finished up . the resin on the inside is drying right now as i type. I think it turned out good for it being the first box i ever built so it aint like its the box to end all boxes .So let me know what you think

gsuchyta
08-29-2008, 11:34 PM
You need a lot more port area for 2 12's
You have a little over 14 square inches of port area with those 2 3" aeros
I don't know exactly how many cubes your box is but for 2 12's I would do more like
50-65 square inches. You're going to get port noise like a mother.
cycloneman told you in the previous posts too