PDA

View Full Version : What program to designs boxes?

bunkerking09
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
What program do you guys use to design boxes? Google sketch? Designs like this...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339105

Oinkypig
08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Auto Desk Inventor Pro is what i use and is VERY useful, you can build anything with it.There are ways of obtaining the software for free if need be *Wink*

dman4486
08-17-2008, 12:27 AM
design or sketch?

bunkerking09
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
how?

PV Audio
08-17-2008, 01:26 AM
What are you wanting to do, design, or make 3D models?

bunkerking09
08-17-2008, 01:43 AM
What are you wanting to do, design, or make 3D models?

3d models

PV Audio
08-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Google sketchup works fine and is easy to learn.

helotaxi
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Why bother? Figure out the dimensions (the program won't do that for you) sketch it on a piece of graph paper and have it built quicker than you can get a good result from the program that will only draw a picture for you.

dman4486
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Why bother? Figure out the dimensions (the program won't do that for you) sketch it on a piece of graph paper and have it built quicker than you can get a good result from the program that will only draw a picture for you.

that is like saying "jerk off instead of having ***....because it will get you off quicker than you can get a good result from the woman":wow:

PV Audio
08-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Why bother? Figure out the dimensions (the program won't do that for you) sketch it on a piece of graph paper and have it built quicker than you can get a good result from the program that will only draw a picture for you.Don't bother; this day and age is all about 3d models that just happen to be enclosures as well.

Immacomputer
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM

It's nice to have an electronic copy of all of the enclosures that you have designed and built in case you need to use them again. Which would you rather have: A sheet of paper with pencil scribblings on it with dried beer and sawdust on it or a nice 3d model that can give you any angle or dimension?

PV Audio
08-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Honestly, the scribblings. I have a binder of every enclosure and speaker I've designed since late 03 when I started, and it's just **** amazing to see how things progress the more you learn. A computer removes that certain element.

dman4486
08-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Honestly, the scribblings. I have a binder of every enclosure and speaker I've designed since late 03 when I started, and it's just **** amazing to see how things progress the more you learn. A computer removes that certain element.

The element you are talking about is drawing. Design-work and planning still go into computer modeling. The difference is that some people don't know how to do the later.

PV Audio
08-18-2008, 01:06 PM
No, but it's different. Having been using sketch up since version 4, I can tell you that it makes the process so much easier. With that said, it's far more satisfying to draw it out by hand to get your ideas down first, then to draw it up on the computer to have an electronic copy. I guess it just feels more like you designed it instead of the computer did the work for you.

lincolntc690
08-18-2008, 01:35 PM
^^^^^agreed

dman4486
08-18-2008, 01:35 PM
No, but it's different. Having been using sketch up since version 4, I can tell you that it makes the process so much easier. With that said, it's far more satisfying to draw it out by hand to get your ideas down first, then to draw it up on the computer to have an electronic copy. I guess it just feels more like you designed it instead of the computer did the work for you.

makes sense

helotaxi
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Having used some of the earliest 3D CAD programs when they were in their infancy, and still knowing how to use the newest versions of AutoCAD, I draw it by hand. If you know what you're doing from a drafting/technical drawing perspective, you can get a usable, dimensioned drawing in just a few minutes. Much easier to make changes and last I checked none of those programs do cutsheets so you still end up hand jamming it. If I was in the business of designing boxes and was going to be using production equipment to make multiple copies of each one, I might go to the trouble of making a CAD drawing. Even machinists with access to CAD-CAM and CNC don't bother building the computer model for a one-off unless it is a prototype for future production or super complex, they just make it manually.

Sketchup is a total waste unless you just are unable to picture something in your head. If that's the case you probably shouldn't be designing anything. As far as showing off your design, build the box. Take pictures.

And your *** analogy *****. *** is better with a partner. Your box design isn't better because you wasted the time to draw it in a 3D sketch program.

PV Audio
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Having used some of the earliest 3D CAD programs when they were in their infancy, and still knowing how to use the newest versions of AutoCAD, I draw it by hand. If you know what you're doing from a drafting/technical drawing perspective, you can get a usable, dimensioned drawing in just a few minutes. Much easier to make changes and last I checked none of those programs do cutsheets so you still end up hand jamming it. If I was in the business of designing boxes and was going to be using production equipment to make multiple copies of each one, I might go to the trouble of making a CAD drawing. Even machinists with access to CAD-CAM and CNC don't bother building the computer model for a one-off unless it is a prototype for future production or super complex, they just make it manually.

Sketchup is a total waste unless you just are unable to picture something in your head. If that's the case you probably shouldn't be designing anything. As far as showing off your design, build the box. Take pictures.

And your *** analogy *****. *** is better with a partner. Your box design isn't better because you wasted the time to draw it in a 3D sketch program.
Exactly what I was thinking. You need a hard copy first to actually understand what's going on acoustically instead of drawing lines on the computer. This is the primary reason that I don't do car audio designs anymore, because people became less interested in having an enclosure and more concerned about having something super fancy that just happens to be a speaker enclosure.

PV Audio
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
makes senseI mean, it's just my opinion which doesn't make it right, but I've still drawn up every design I've made and I can't even imagine how many total that is :laugh:

Immacomputer
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Your box design isn't better because you wasted the time to draw it in a 3D sketch program.

The quality of an enclosure design has nothing at all to do with the drawing; the latter cannot exist without the former.

Exactly what I was thinking. You need a hard copy first to actually understand what's going on acoustically instead of drawing lines on the computer.

So your inaccurate scribble on a piece of paper is supposed to give you a better acoustical understanding?

helotaxi
08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
The quality of an enclosure design has nothing at all to do with the drawing; the latter cannot exist without the former.So we agree. Good.

So your inaccurate scribble on a piece of paper is supposed to give you a better acoustical understanding?I would say probably more so than a sketch program. You can't draw it without having designed it first. The scribble is the design. Mine aren't usually pretty, just pretty effective.

bunkerking09
08-18-2008, 10:15 PM
i didn't mean for this to become a debate thread, i just though the designs looked cool lol

helotaxi
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
The box itself looks cooler and is actually useful.