PDA

View Full Version : awkward pord design

GalitanNRG
08-16-2008, 02:57 AM
I am considering putting triangular ports on my enclosure. Will this severely effect the sound quality of the box (terrible distortion and such)? My box will be tuned at 45 Hz. If possible, i would like to avoid opinions on the appearance.

http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=9593&catid=member&imageuser=57418

PV Audio
08-16-2008, 03:04 AM
No it won't, but I don't recommend it.

funkyab
08-16-2008, 03:09 AM
think this is a bad idea but we need more info.
are you talkind about aero type ports??? if that is the case, as long as the inside has the proper cylinderical port and on the outside it is the same and the triangle is only cosmetic... fine...

or.... are you talking about something else.. SCETCH UP AND MORE INFO PLEASE!

GalitanNRG
08-16-2008, 03:11 AM
i placed an sketch in the top post (ports highlighted)

x2o
08-16-2008, 03:13 AM
It's been done before, and I've actually heard someone local with a box like that. I couldn't tell any difference from a standard slot port until he showed me it. He wasn't beasting SPL though, he was just running a JL 12w3 if I remember. It sounded fine though, but tuning must be a bit tricky..

PV Audio
08-16-2008, 03:31 AM
I just don't recommend it because you will naturally incur more turbulence inside the box than necessary, plus, you will eventually take up more room than you would using a rectangle port, since you need to use more space to get the same size as a rectangle (due to wood thickness, you can't just halve the rectangle port formula).