PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs HU advice

dioprem
08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forums. Also all this while, my car audio system has always been the one that came with the stock. However, my HU has passes away peacefully and now, I'll need to upgrade.

I'm very new at these things so I hope you guys will be patient.

The HU I'm looking for must be able to link up to my MP3 players. I have a MP3 player that can play lossless FLAC format sound so the source is still CD quality. What HU would you guys recommend?

Also would playing music in this manner somehow reduce the sound quality output as compared to playing music directly from the CD?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

95BlackGA
08-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forums. Also all this while, my car audio system has always been the one that came with the stock. However, my HU has passes away peacefully and now, I'll need to upgrade.

I'm very new at these things so I hope you guys will be patient.

The HU I'm looking for must be able to link up to my MP3 players. I have a MP3 player that can play lossless FLAC format sound so the source is still CD quality. What HU would you guys recommend?

Also would playing music in this manner somehow reduce the sound quality output as compared to playing music directly from the CD?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Any USB enabled Pioneer, and some Eclipse head units will work, as well as Alpine head units. (Not positive on Alpine, if they have USB or not) If you're using an iPod, there are several hundred head units out there that will work. Playing MP3 players vs. CD's will be based on the way of you hooking up your MP3 player, if it's through the headphone jack, CD's will probably be louder, do to the small amount of voltage supplied to the head phone jack on MP3 players. If you're using a direct connect style input, there shouldn't be any loss between the 2.

dioprem
08-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Any USB enabled Pioneer, and some Eclipse head units will work, as well as Alpine head units. (Not positive on Alpine, if they have USB or not) If you're using an iPod, there are several hundred head units out there that will work. Playing MP3 players vs. CD's will be based on the way of you hooking up your MP3 player, if it's through the headphone jack, CD's will probably be louder, do to the small amount of voltage supplied to the head phone jack on MP3 players. If you're using a direct connect style input, there shouldn't be any loss between the 2.

Thank you for the reply 95BlackGA. How does the "direct connect style input" work? Does it involve taking my MP3 player apart?

zack39648
08-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Thank you for the reply 95BlackGA. How does the "direct connect style input" work? Does it involve taking my MP3 player apart?

not in the least he is just refering to a ipod data cable over a headphone jack cable

dioprem
08-16-2008, 02:59 AM
not in the least he is just refering to a ipod data cable over a headphone jack cable

Ah thank you. Anyway, my MP3 player pnly has a earphone jack and a line-in jack. Not sure if that will affect the choice of HUs available to me.

zack39648
08-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Ah thank you. Anyway, my MP3 player pnly has a earphone jack and a line-in jack. Not sure if that will affect the choice of HUs available to me.

nothing is wrong with using aux in HU's you should be fine .. just do some looking around and see what you like and has the features you need ..