PDA

View Full Version : what to use to hold my box together

crunch5868
08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
ok i have everything cut and ready to go and now all i have to do is put it together. Its just under 4 cubes (for 2 subs) and in the middle of the box i have a wall separating the 2 sections for each sub. I was going to put extra pieces of mdf in the corners but i really dont want to make any more displacement my box is already on the smaller side. Will pre-drilled counter sunk screws and glue be good enough? BTW i have 2 pioneer TS-W3001's being pushed at 1100watts.

MmatsproRodeo99
08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
alot of peeps like titebond II but im a liquid nail lover never had one problem and you can make up in cutting errors with he liquid nails if your not perfectly straight just my opinon.

mlstrass
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Tite Bond II or Elmer's Pro will work fine. Lay down enough glue so it seeps out BOTH sides of the joint when it's screwed down. Glue holds the box together, screws only hold it in place until the glue dries...

jdawg
08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Tite Bond II or Elmer's Pro will work fine. Lay down enough glue so it seeps out BOTH sides of the joint when it's screwed down. Glue holds the box together, screws only hold it in place until the glue dries...

right,dont use liquid nails.

lilmaniac2
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
alot of peeps like titebond II but im a liquid nail lover never had one problem and you can make up in cutting errors with he liquid nails if your not perfectly straight just my opinon.

Well your opinion is dead wrong.

Wood glue physically bonds the wood. Hence why its WOOD glue. Liquid nails is an adhesive. If you want to seal screw ups from cutting use a wood glue + sawdust mixure and it will be much stronger.

etc.
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Well your opinion is dead wrong.

Wood glue physically bonds the wood. Hence why its WOOD glue. Liquid nails is an adhesive. If you want to seal screw ups from cutting use a wood glue + sawdust mixure and it will be much stronger.

but be sure not to put more than you need on... the glue+saw dust is harder than the wood :)

dragnix
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
wood glue, they're like 5bux at walmart last i checked

30hrtz
08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
never had a problem with"make it straight" actually called liquid nails and course thread drywall screws.liquid nail is very forgiving on crooked cuts of wood.it will usually seal and hold an mdf box air tight for about 1 -2 years.most bassheads change boxes more often so its no problem,its cheap and goes along way...just get 2 tubes if your cuts look a little intoxicated
looking cuts

kovemaster559
08-15-2008, 12:34 AM
gorrila glue. it expands so it will work heavenly

teen
08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
ive always used titebond. the wood will break before the bond btwn the glue and wood breaks. (believe me, ive torn box's apart before).

liquid nails just sorta holds the wood together. if you try and tear apart two pieces of wood held together with liquid nails, you'll end up with the wood apart and sorta like a flimsy chunk of glue btwn them.

twisztdauthorit
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
simple plain wood glue... its your best friend

dragnix
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
gorrila glue. it expands so it will work heavenly

no, gorilla has been tested to have weaker holding strength compared to wood glue when used on wood :crazy:

shellfish
08-15-2008, 02:26 AM
I've searched and looked everywhere but no luck.
What are those screws called that don't split the MDF? I've seen a thread on them on here before.

kovemaster559
08-15-2008, 02:32 AM
no, gorilla has been tested to have weaker holding strength compared to wood glue when used on wood :crazy:

i knew that i say he uses it to cover gaps since the wood glue just seepes tough the gaps

crunch5868
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
ok im going to use the wood glue, prolly titebond to hold them together but i also have about 3 ends of boards where the cuts arent perfectly straight. there close though. think ill be ok and the wood glue will just fill those up

o also what screws should i use? drywall? what size? im going to predrill and countersink

PV Audio
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Jesus Christ man, this is without question THE most often asked question in this forum along with what wood to use. Use the ****ing search.

crunch5868
08-15-2008, 02:43 PM
hey! pv, thanks for the help! chill out

PV Audio
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Who the **** are you trying to talk to me like that? Try that again and see if I don't perma ban your ***.