PDA

View Full Version : so, usb is louder than aux??.......

adio
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
i read some posts on here and found this out. when i used to hook up my iaudio U3 to the aux in the rental car, i had to crank up the the HU annd then turn up the volume on the mp3 player. i guess i wouldn't have to do this with a usb and a flash drive to have the same volume as a CD, huh?

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Never used aux in but my usb with a flash drive is the same loudness as the cd or real close.

chrisw91
08-13-2008, 08:51 PM
ya it should be, and what better about usb, if you care, is that it is able to sent info to the HU like the band name and all that good stuff. and im not sure if all HU do, but im sure some will charge your mp3 while playing music through a usb

adio
08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
hmmmm...... ok:)

well what ****** HU would u and others recommend?? i guess something with 4 or 5v preouts would be nice, but not necessary. right now, i have pioneer DEH-6700

chrisw91
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
honestly im pretty new to car audio myself, so my first system im doin right now isnt ****** or anything, its just everything i need and my HU i choose cause it had like all the features. i got a kenwood kdc-mp438u and it has aux and usb in the front. sat. radio ready, sirus or xm, blue tooth ready. pretty much got it cause it had everything i might need in the future. i would suggest going on the internet to find one, cause i got ripped off at my local stereo shop, charged me $180 for the HU and went online after i bought it to find one for like $120. so i learned my lesson there. but overall i think it is a pretty good HU unless you are competition status or sumthin.

jellyfish420
08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
if your serious about it...find something with a usb in the back that way you can run the cord to the glove box and use a removeable hard drive.

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
what are you wanting out of the deck? sub, ipod, active crossovers, how much eq do you need? will you be using a flash drive or some other mp3 player?

adio
08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
what are you wanting out of the deck? sub, ipod, active crossovers, how much eq do you need? will you be using a flash drive or some other mp3 player?

i just want functionality. i'llhave a sub hooked up and an amp for the front speakers. not going active. i need EQ, cause idk what i'm doing, but if i play with the eq enough, i'll get a sound that i like. more than likely, i'll be using a flash drive........ don't have enough music for a HD. asked for HI volt preouts, so i can get louder without touching the gains on the amps.

delvryboy
08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
I have the 5900ub.... works perfectly. HDD, flash, ipod... decent eq and 4v outs.

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
pioneer DEH-P600UB sounds like what you would like. I have a pioneer dvd and I have had a kenwood and Jvc and the pioneer kills them in starting up. With the pioneer I start the car and before I move the car music is playing with the other ones I would be half way around the block before music would start.

adio
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I have the 5900ub.... works perfectly. HDD, flash, ipod... decent eq and 4v outs.

pioneer?

Hintzyboy
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
The Pioneer 4000ub, 5000ub, 6000ub and the respective Premier versions can all do that. You would just need a USB extension cord because the input is on the back of the unit IIRC

chrisw91
08-13-2008, 10:06 PM
pioneer DEH-P600UB sounds like what you would like. I have a pioneer dvd and I have had a kenwood and Jvc and the pioneer kills them in starting up. With the pioneer I start the car and before I move the car music is playing with the other ones I would be half way around the block before music would start.

so what makes them read faster or what ever?

Hintzyboy
08-13-2008, 10:08 PM

What do you mean?

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 10:10 PM

I dont know must be faster processing in the deck. I had a Jvc that everytime you start your car it would go back to the first song.

chrisw91
08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I dont know must be faster processing in the deck. I had a Jvc that everytime you start your car it would go back to the first song.

o, so theres nothing in the specs to tell you how fast it reads?

adio
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
The Pioneer 4000ub, 5000ub, 6000ub and the respective Premier versions can all do that. You would just need a USB extension cord because the input is on the back of the unit IIRC

damm..... a cord doesn't come with it? it seems like with the kenwoods the cords come attached in the back already.

J31Rob
08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
a lot of head units have an aux / ipod in level control.. at least i know my pioneer 7800 does.

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Im sure a cord comes with it. My pioneer did and the lastone I bought with usb did also. You need a cord for Ipods to hook up on the pioneer but the premier line comes with them.

Hintzyboy
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
damm..... a cord doesn't come with it? it seems like with the kenwoods the cords come attached in the back already.

Oh, IDK, I don't have one. I guess if you want the unit, pick it up and see how long whatever cord comes with it is. If you can get it to the glove box without problems, then no need for an extension.. I just assumed it was a simple USB input on the back of the unit.

Hintzyboy
08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
http://pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Pioneer/DEH-P6000UB

Product page for the 6000UB. If you look at the pics, the cord on the input doesn't look very long. I'm not sure if it comes with an extender, but I doubt it. Unless you want to pull the HU every time you want to switch up your music, you'll probably need an extender (they are pretty cheap though).

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok I checked it out on crutchfield if you look up the deck there it gives you a list of whats in the box and it comes with a ( 59" USB extension cable (has male Type A USB on one end and female Type A USB on the other end).

adio
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Ok I checked it out on crutchfield if you look up the deck there it gives you a list of whats in the box and it comes with a ( 59" USB extension cable (has male Type A USB on one end and female Type A USB on the other end).

what, the pioneer 6000ub?

adio
08-14-2008, 12:09 AM
ok, so we got pioneer. anybody wanna throw in other HU's???

SSS 18734
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't mean to thread jack, but how exactly does a head unit with a USB-in work? Say I have an external hard drive with just music on it. Can I plug it in and go through the files like I would an ipod? Can I put them on shuffle?

jellyfish420
08-14-2008, 12:18 AM
asked for HI volt preouts, so i can get louder without touching the gains on the amps.
more voltage at the pre out won't make you louder...its for a lower floor...

adio
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
more voltage at the pre out won't make you louder...its for a lower floor...

:confused:

99StangGt
08-14-2008, 12:37 AM
what, the pioneer 6000ub?

Yep thats the one I checked on, crutchfield doesn't sell premier line.

99StangGt
08-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't mean to thread jack, but how exactly does a head unit with a USB-in work? Say I have an external hard drive with just music on it. Can I plug it in and go through the files like I would an ipod? Can I put them on shuffle?

There are a lot of people using hard drives, do a search there has been a lot of talk about it.

delvryboy
08-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I was talking about the pioneer. As far as the hard drive, I believe it has to be fat32, I could be wrong.

I use a 8gb flash drive and my wifes ipod. All you do is pretty much plug it in and go. You go through the folders exactly like they are on the hdd and the ipod is completely controlled through the deck.

Twistid
08-14-2008, 02:18 AM
I have a Pioneer 6900UB and it takes about 10 seconds to start the song, but it starts right where I left off.

Great unit, I like it...

delvryboy
08-14-2008, 02:18 AM
hmm, mine takes about 2 seconds tops

Twistid
08-14-2008, 02:19 AM
hmm, mine takes about 2 seconds tops

You have a 6900? What size do you have hooked up to it?

adio
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
ttt

bigbangtheory
08-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I just bought a KDC-X492 Excleon Kenwood, with the USB and Aux right in front. Is 4 volt pre-outs and is compatiable with BT, HDradio and Sirus. I have just a nano ipod, but just plug it in the front as long as you have a usb cable from iPod and bingo, bango.

I have yet to install it, but will do so this weekend. I bought it off crutchfield as I needed most the stuff they give to you for free in dash kit, wire harness and what not.

170 through them, or 130 off most other sites, but no dash kit, harness and what not.

I am going to this from an 880 prs though, lol!

That deck was to much for me though. I like simple.

delvryboy
08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
You have a 6900? What size do you have hooked up to it?

I have the 5900ub w/ a 8gb flash drive.

adio
08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I just bought a KDC-X492 Excleon Kenwood, with the USB and Aux right in front. Is 4 volt pre-outs and is compatiable with BT, HDradio and Sirus. I have just a nano ipod, but just plug it in the front as long as you have a usb cable from iPod and bingo, bango.

I have yet to install it, but will do so this weekend. I bought it off crutchfield as I needed most the stuff they give to you for free in dash kit, wire harness and what not.

170 through them, or 130 off most other sites, but no dash kit, harness and what not.

I am going to this from an 880 prs though, lol!

That deck was to much for me though. I like simple.

please do. i was looking at this deck also, but after reading the posts in various threads in hre, i came to the conclusion that JVC was beneath me. please give a n aux review and maybe i can change my mind. i really like the idea of an aux and usb right in the front

bigbangtheory
08-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah this deck I have has everything, besides the EQing options I had with my 880, which honestly was way over my head. Main reason I got rid of it, well that and trying to convince myself to get out of audio, lol! That took all of 2 weeks on a factory setup!

Will let you know, but not 100% sure if I will get to it. I am going to start to deaden my front doors tomorrow. I just can't wait! Insert sarcasm here!

adio
08-17-2008, 01:05 AM
u install it yet??

bigbangtheory
08-17-2008, 09:44 AM
u install it yet??

Yes I did!:D

As of yesterday. I will have some pics up later as well in the review I did for my Pioneer Premier TSD-720c's review in the speaker section if you want to peep it later on this afternoon eastern time. ;)

So far it seems very basic, compared to my 880, which duh! I like the simplicity of it and it looks better overall the the Pioneer as it matches my interior better. I have only had about 3 hours of play on it and have yet to try my hand with the iPod playing through it, so will do so later on and come back here to let you know how it works. Seems like the buttons are a little harder to control and the remote is nice, but have to point it right at the deck, which I didn't have to do so with my 880. Sound quailty is very good, it still has 4 volt pre outs, which is always nice, but not needed. I just like the option myself.

Things I like-simple, nice looking deck, easy to use, sound quailty is as good as my PRS was. (I do have a better componet set though)Very cheap as they can be had for as low as 110 from certain sites, has front Aux and iPod direct connect, which means as long as you have USB cord, plug and play it through deck, BT ready, Sat ready, HD ready and 3 pre-outs.

Things I don't like-Can be a bit bright at night, remote don't seem to pick up right away, knobs are a little hard to get used to(maybe its because they are new?) umm thats about it really.

Nice deck at great price. I recommend it for certain and remember I am coming from an 880 PRS Premier. :eek:

Low_e_Red
08-17-2008, 09:55 AM
There are almost unlimited songs you can put on the PNR USB in. I have a customer that bought a 4 port USB hub and ran 2 other 150 gb HDD's... And yes Pioneer always gives an extension. (I install 2-3 a day.)

bigbangtheory
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey Adio, I listened to the iPod on my Kenwood x-492 and it works awesome! Almost as good as my CD's. Just make sure you leave the pod on flat on the eq, lol! At first I hooked it up and sounded like ****, I was great........got this deck for it. 160 bucks down the shitter! Well got it dialed in and wokrs flawlessly! I have to use it more as I am still playing around with it, but changes songs really quick and just overall love this deck!

I actually enjoy it more than my 880, lol! Call me crazy, I don't care!

delvryboy
08-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Actually, I just realized I have the 6900ub. If you want I could make a video of usb load times in a few days.

Just to note, when I plug in a new usb, it takes about 5-10 seconds to load. After that, flipping through folders and songs is instant; even when powering up fresh.

Fine Vol
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey Adio, I listened to the iPod on my Kenwood x-492 and it works awesome! Almost as good as my CD's. Just make sure you leave the pod on flat on the eq, lol! At first I hooked it up and sounded like ****, I was great........got this deck for it. 160 bucks down the shitter! Well got it dialed in and wokrs flawlessly! I have to use it more as I am still playing around with it, but changes songs really quick and just overall love this deck!

I actually enjoy it more than my 880, lol! Call me crazy, I don't care!LOL me to put the flash drive in and said "this sounds like Sh**" then I realized I had to adjust all of the settings all over again:)

arizona
08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Thats weird... I also have the 6900ub and it takes about 5-10 sec to load up and start to play. I haven't really noticed a difference in load times from a new plug in and one that was already in there. I'm only using a 2gb one atm. Need to buy a 16 or bigger :)

delvryboy
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll have to make a video.

bigbangtheory
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
When you guys talk about load times, do you mean once you plug it in to the USB and it starts to play? If so, my Kenwood takes about 5 seconds, nothing to long. Leaves off from the song you left it on once you plug it back in too, which I have heard some don't.

delvryboy
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
right. my only delay is the first time the usb is plugged in. after that, whether it be turning the car/hu on/off or switching sources is instant.

ipod is about a 3 second delay between folders and when scrolling songs.

adio
08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
When you guys talk about load times, do you mean once you plug it in to the USB and it starts to play? If so, my Kenwood takes about 5 seconds, nothing to long. Leaves off from the song you left it on once you plug it back in too, which I have heard some don't.

so u got it installed??

bigbangtheory
08-20-2008, 06:22 PM
so u got it installed??

Yes, I left a review of it like 5 plus posts up, lol!

Check it out.

adio
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
oooof!! very nice review. i wouldn't mind gettin one of those now:)

bigbangtheory
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
;)