PDA

View Full Version : Box Design for 12" D6

leon
08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Can someone make a box design for a single Diamond Audio D612D4? I am looking for 1.5ft^3 ported at 33Hz. The specs for the subs are

T/S Parameters
Qms: 4.6
Qes: .57
Qts: .51
Fs: 34Hz
Vas: 33.1 L
Xmax: 17.8

I also took a crack at reaudio.com's L-Ported Box Designer and got this:

W: 22"
H: 14"
D: 14.5"

Port Width: 1.75
Port Length: 31.375
Port Area: 21.875
L1: 12
L2: 16

Volume: 1.519
Tuned Freq: 33.177

Is this a good design??

EDIT: 100 Post woohoo!!

gshack
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Have you thought about using Diamond Audio's design / transmission line style box?

Just a thought

http://www.diamondaudio.com/PDF/current/WiringEnclosures/Single12VentedEnclosure.pdf

leon
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Have you thought about using Diamond Audio's design / transmission line style box?

Just a thought

http://www.diamondaudio.com/PDF/current/WiringEnclosures/Single12VentedEnclosure.pdf

holy batman, that's what i've been looking for! :)

gshack
08-13-2008, 11:49 PM
holy batman, that's what i've been looking for! :)

I am working on the same type of box Diamond recommends right now for two 10" Mack Daddy D6's (couple of years old) re-coned, better spiders etc....for some nutty excursion (2"). Should be finished by the weekend. I'll let you know how they sound; in comparison to the box type. This is a new one for me (transmission line "type" box). Should be interesting with a 1000k mono block knockin' an accord:)

leon
08-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I am working on the same type of box Diamond recommends right now for two 10" Mack Daddy D6's (couple of years old) re-coned, better spiders etc....for some nutty excursion (2"). Should be finished by the weekend. I'll let you know how they sound; in comparison to the box type. This is a new one for me (transmission line "type" box). Should be interesting with a 1000k mono block knockin' an accord:)

Sweet! do let me know how it sounds :)

what is the difference between a "normal" (l-shaped) ported box and a transmission line ported box?

1000k?! :eek: :p:

gshack
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Sweet! do let me know how it sounds :)

what is the difference between a "normal" (l-shaped) ported box and a transmission line ported box?

1000k?! :eek: :p:

I will do my best to explain from what I have learned so far :)

Ported box gives you an advantage over a certain frequency range around tuning frequency. At that frequency the box and sub are "working together" giving more output and also controlling your roll off point, depending on tuning of the enclosure.

The transmission line box is not really a ported box, more of an extension of the box itself, sounds confusing. It utilizes the energy of the back of the speaker to channel through the chambers to, in the end, couple with the front wave of the speaker taking advantage of both the front and back wave of the speaker. These boxes don't really have a tuning frequency, from what I have re-searched, so they don't have a peak / gain like a ported box.

There is no one right answer, and if anyone on here can explain it better or correct my information, please do.

I'll let you know how the 10's sound, hopefully this weekend!

leon
08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I will do my best to explain from what I have learned so far :)

Ported box gives you an advantage over a certain frequency range around tuning frequency. At that frequency the box and sub are "working together" giving more output and also controlling your roll off point, depending on tuning of the enclosure.

The transmission line box is not really a ported box, more of an extension of the box itself, sounds confusing. It utilizes the energy of the back of the speaker to channel through the chambers to, in the end, couple with the front wave of the speaker taking advantage of both the front and back wave of the speaker. These boxes don't really have a tuning frequency, from what I have re-searched, so they don't have a peak / gain like a ported box.

There is no one right answer, and if anyone on here can explain it better or correct my information, please do.

I'll let you know how the 10's sound, hopefully this weekend!

Interesting. I read somewhere on the forums that generally TLs, aside from being more efficient, sounds a little better overall, but not as loud while a ported box would be a little louder but not sound as good. But the difference is pretty minimal i think.

Look forward to your results!

bean-a-reano
08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
bump Been running the Diamond "transmission" style for almost 2 years. Want to try a regular ported to gain some output. Any thoughts on size or freq?

gshack
09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Holy ***! We just finished the box (yes it's been forever) but holy **** beads!! This box is dangerous!! Loudest Honda I have ever built. I wouldn't be surprised if we could pull a (small) hair trick. Moves an *** ton of air..........all about *** today