PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 8 volt pre out

efm80
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
was told by some car audio buff that 8 volt pre outs on your head unit are actually too much and can be harmful to your amps. Amps can at most handle 4-5v so an 8 volt pre out could fry your amp?? Is that true???? And he said even if it didn't you would not see any difference or benefit from them compared to a 4 volt. He said that deck with 8 volt pre outs is if your are running multiple amps(like 6) and amps are sharing a pre out. what you guys think???

eddie

wu501
08-13-2008, 03:07 PM
you don't need 8v preouts but they wont hurt either.

integra88
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Even w/ 8 volt preouts...Your amps won't even see 8 volts unless you have the H/U volume maxed. I have run a number of Eclipse H/U's w/ 8 volt preouts and have never had a problem. If you ck. the voltage on your preouts you will see that at 3/4 volume your amps are only seeing roughly 3-4 volts anyway.

x2o
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Even w/ 8 volt preouts...Your amps won't even see 8 volts unless you have the H/U volume maxed. I have run a number of Eclipse H/U's w/ 8 volt preouts and have never had a problem. If you ck. the voltage on your preouts you will see that at 3/4 volume your amps are only seeing roughly 3-4 volts anyway.

Yeah, it's more a marketing gimmick then anything else. People see the highest preout voltage on the market and assume they need it. I'm sure it brings them a ton of sales every year.

efm80
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
so what would you guys suggest is the best pre out voltage that is the best of both worlds?

99StangGt
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
4 to 8v. I have ran a ton of eclipse decks with a lot of different amps and never had a problem.

integra88
08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
4 to 8v. I have ran a ton of eclipse decks with a lot of different amps and never had a problem.

Ditto....x2

efm80
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
can you honestly tell any diffrence in sq from 4v to 8v??

integra88
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
can you honestly tell any diffrence in sq from 4v to 8v??

So long as the rest of the equipment is up to par w/ the H/U, there will be a difference. Remember the RCA voltage drops between the H/U and the amps or processor. You can save some $$$ w/ a 4 volt H/U and get a line driver before your amps.

22mountaineer
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, it's more a marketing gimmick then anything else. People see the highest preout voltage on the market and assume they need it. I'm sure it brings them a ton of sales every year.

x2

and there is no difference with the preout voltage if you get a 2v or 8

helotaxi
08-14-2008, 01:58 AM
For the voltage to drop between the HU and the amp the amp would need to have a really low input impedance and allow significant current to flow in the RCAs. Most amps have an input impedance in the 10k Ohm range so current is neligible. As such there is no voltage drop between the HU and amp. There is no reason to base any part of the purchase decision on the preout voltage.

efm80
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
For the voltage to drop between the HU and the amp the amp would need to have a really low input impedance and allow significant current to flow in the RCAs. Most amps have an input impedance in the 10k Ohm range so current is neligible. As such there is no voltage drop between the HU and amp. There is no reason to base any part of the purchase decision on the preout voltage.

little hard time interpreting what you said, but basically if I like two decks equally, 1 has 8v, the other 5v....but the 5v is $150 cheaper get the 5volt one??

integra88
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
little hard time interpreting what you said, but basically if I like two decks equally, 1 has 8v, the other 5v....but the 5v is $150 cheaper get the 5volt one??

Bingo...:D

WhoSayWho?
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM

I certainly would not pay $150 just to get the 8v over the 5v. It would not even factor into my decision.

stuckinok
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
was told by some car audio buff that 8 volt pre outs on your head unit are actually too much and can be harmful to your amps. Amps can at most handle 4-5v so an 8 volt pre out could fry your amp?? Is that true???? And he said even if it didn't you would not see any difference or benefit from them compared to a 4 volt. He said that deck with 8 volt pre outs is if your are running multiple amps(like 6) and amps are sharing a pre out. what you guys think???

eddie

Whoever you talked to is a ******* Retard.

efm80
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM
thanks everyone!! little off topic but lets say between the two decks 1 has a 7 band parametric EQ and one has a 16-band graphic EQ. which one would you get or is it a personal pref.????????

eddie

99StangGt
08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Personally I can tune with either one. I dont do a lot with them just around 1000hz. Usually you can tune very well with a 16 band but some people have better ears then me and need the parametric. Its more of a personal choice. I would choose between the deck that does what I want or is cheaper.

ultimate157
08-14-2008, 03:22 PM

eddie

You know he's talking about something he knows nothing about simply from that statement. You can split RCA's as much as you want, its still going to be an "8v" signal.