PDA

View Full Version : Box wont hold up?

mrjoeyjiffy
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a fairly large box tuned to about 29hz for my 2 JBL Gti's(12 inch). The port is in the middle, and it is double baffled. I noticed a couple weeks after i got my new amp my subs were sounding very "muddy" and didnt have near the intensity they did before.

So i checked on the back of the box and noticed that 2 screw heads were out, i pulled them out by hand and they were broke in half! Keep in mind these are 1 3/4 coarse thread drywall screws that were pre-drilled with a counter sink bit as to make sure the mdf didnt split.

Since then I just havent had the bass up at all, and i can not really afford to have someone build me a new box, and I dont really have the proper tools to do it myself at this point. So I grabbed some bondo from work and made a layer across the seem of the back of the box let it dry and tried it out again, about 3 seconds of awesome sounding bass then it went right back to sounding muddy, as it turns out the bondo popped off right at the seam across the back of the box.

SO my question is, is there any relatively cheap way i can reinforce the back of my box so this does not keep happening?

mlstrass
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
take out all the screw and pry it apart and get some good wood glue in there and screw it back down. Screws do NOT hold a box together, glue does...

etznova
08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
threaded rod

lvjeffro
08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
"L" brackets and some butyl tape or caulk...

mapolley07
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
if you think you have enough glue, use more. use a good strong glue also. i like Elmers ProBond, but most on here use TiteBond II or III

also use some bracing of some sort, some threaded rod or some 2x2 or something along those lines. as mentioned above L brackets in the corners should help too

mrjoeyjiffy
08-14-2008, 01:47 AM
So i took the back off the box, to find there was no wood glue, i called the guy who built the box (otherwise it was a hell of a job) and hes like " I told you i didnt glue the back in, just put the screws cuz i figured youd take the back off to mount the subs"

so 5 of the 10 screws were snapped in half, got those out, lined the whole back with wood glue and filled in the screw holes with wood glue and screwed new screws in, ill give it some stress testing tomorrow and let you know how it goes, thanks to all for your input.

kovemaster559
08-14-2008, 01:49 AM
gorilla glue, just seep it in cracks and it will expand

mlstrass
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
gorilla glue, just seep it in cracks and it will expand

That **** ***** balls, will never use it again as it doesn't hold well...

scarolinablazin
08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

HE LIKES IT CAUSE HIS COUSIN IS ON THE BOTTLE

azimuth
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM

it works fine if you wet the 2 surfaces to be glued together. it does **** however. it is not stronger than wood glue, so there is really no point in using it. gorilla does make wood glue, but i've never tried it.

rumblebee2
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
That is exactly why i borrowed tools to make my 1st box. i used a nail gun on the last box and worked better than the screws.