PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Distortion!!

ohearnjd
08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I bought a Boss Chaos 650 about 2 years ago on eBay and when I set the internal crossover the sound was extremely distorted. I turned that off and went back to the headunit crossover which is very reliable. I thought the amp crossover would be better. Since the amp produced an advertised 250w/chan it fried my Type S 6x8s.

I replaced them with SPX137R and 177R and went with an Alpine MRP-F250. I tried the crossover on this amp and it too was distorted so I am still using the headunit crossover.

Has anyone else run into this? I know the wiring is legit. What's up?

DidUHearThat?
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Sounds like operator error.

ohearnjd
08-11-2008, 10:51 PM
A simple yes with a solution would do.

DidUHearThat?
08-12-2008, 08:00 AM
It's hard to say what the problem is exactly, but it sounds like you are doing something wrong.
You say the wiring is legit, but it's probably wired wrong or switched wrong.

What are you using the crossover for? As a High Pass filter, right? Do you have the "HP" selected. What is the crossover frequency? It should be about 100 - 125 Hz.

You are using the headunit crossover to do what? HP? You have a passive system, so your not really using a "crossover" in the traditional sense. Just a HP filter right?

ohearnjd
08-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah, just what you said, as a high pass filter. It's not so bad when the gains are set low and the HU volume is up, but the other way around and it is distortion city. I haven't messed with it in a long time because the HU does the job. Today though I couldn't help myself. It was the same as before. I checked all the wiring when I heard it the first time back in Dec. I wasn't going to put myself through that nonsense again. I'm thinking that I need to set the gains "correctly" with a voltmeter instead of using my ears. I'll have to relearn that one.