PDA

View Full Version : SPL Glass Box???????

Felix Harsh
06-17-2003, 03:36 AM
Simple minded quesstion! can you build a Glass SPL box? Given that you do 6-8 layers of cloth for strength.

Just wanted to know!

ramos
06-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah you can. It would be easier to make it from wood due to the size of most SPL enclosures. But yeah you could if you want to . :)

fantomas
06-17-2003, 11:13 AM
plus if its ported...you'll have a hell of a time figuring out the volume. unless of course you build the box first and just glass the outside of it....

Felix Harsh
06-17-2003, 03:12 PM
I thought about building the box first, but getting the subs mounted at an angle would be a problem. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

ramos
06-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Felix Harsh
I thought about building the box first, but getting the subs mounted at an angle would be a problem. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

If all you want to do is angle the subs, then just make a fiberglass front. Build all of the remaining sides out of MDF. It will be a whole lot easier. :)

Felix Harsh
06-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks, I will try that. Really getting to like this forum!! I got the wood parts cut today. I am trying to figure airspace first. I read that you can use packing peanuts!! So I am doing that tonite. I will post pics later when finished!!

Thanks all for the input.

ramos
06-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Felix Harsh
Thanks, I will try that. Really getting to like this forum!! I got the wood parts cut today. I am trying to figure airspace first. I read that you can use packing peanuts!! So I am doing that tonite. I will post pics later when finished!!

Thanks all for the input.

Well if everything but the front is MDF box volume should be easy. Figure out the volume of the box itself. Then if the glass panel extends out from the box figure the volume of it. If not your good to go. :)