PDA

View Full Version : Parametric EQ or Graphic EQ??

efm80
08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
hey guys, in my quest for a perfect deck and an amazing car stereo I was wondering what your opinions were on eq. I am big on EQ and the deck I am looking at one has a 16-band graphic eq, two have a 7-band grahic eq, but then there is the eclipse deck, with the 7-band Parametric EQ. What type of EQ do you like better??? I was reading that the parametric style actually has more tweaking ability cause you can mess with frequencies, and Q values. In all of your experience whats better you think????

Eddie

UCF52
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
hey guys, in my quest for a perfect deck and an amazing car stereo I was wondering what your opinions were on eq. I am big on EQ and the deck I am looking at one has a 16-band graphic eq, two have a 7-band grahic eq, but then there is the eclipse deck, with the 7-band Parametric EQ. What type of EQ do you like better??? I was reading that the parametric style actually has more tweaking ability cause you can mess with frequencies, and Q values. In all of your experience whats better you think????

Eddie

I assume the 16 band deck you are looking at is the 880. If so, many prefer the dual l/r graphic EQ ability.

Rich B
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Parametric is best as you can dial in the specific frequency that needs correction, but they are a lot harder to get right as you have to know which frequency needs the correction in the first place.

blazeplacid
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
if you REALLY know what you are doing a 13 band or 16 band can help

my set up is best when i use a 7 band

13-16 band leaves to much room for error.

Ill admit im not an expert .

My kenwood has an eq for the front and the back, and that helps since they are differant sizes

DidUHearThat?
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Either one will work. Most people don't buy good enough speakers or do a good enough job with install to really justify one type over the other. If you want a really great stereo, buy really great speakers and do a really great install, and you shouldn't really need any EQ.

DidUHearThat?
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
if you REALLY know what you are doing a 13 band or 16 band can help

my set up is best when i use a 7 band

13-16 band leaves to much room for error.

Ill admit im not an expert .

I am an expert. I use over a dozen 31 band 1/3 oactive and true fully parametric EQ's at work most days for live concert sound. Analog and digital.

In my car, I choose not to have any.

djman37
08-08-2008, 08:33 PM
i have parametric, eclipse 8053.

lincolntc690
08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
i only us the parametric on my 9887, i like the options it offers

cleansoundzz
08-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Audio Control 3.1 all the way.

efm80
08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I assume the 16 band deck you are looking at is the 880. If so, many prefer the dual l/r graphic EQ ability.

actually its the DEH-P980-BT. I like the look more. by having a l/r 16-band grahic eq what does that mean??? I can adjust the eq for the left balance and the right balance seperately???

also can anyone truly explain a parametric eq in laymens terms??? When you select one frequency in a certain band what does that mean?? Also what is wider and narrow for Q. I kinda understand but not really. thanks!!!!

shizzzon
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
the frequency that you choose is the center frequency that will be effected. Choosing wider will effect frequencies above and below the center frequency more...

Lets say you chose 50hz. Choosing wider may effect 40-60hz but going more narrow may only effect 45-55hz.

niebur3
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
The eq in most decks are of very low quality. If you choose to use an eq, go with an h701 from alpine.....However, IMO eq's can make the car sound processed unless you really know what you are doing.....and I mean REALLY know. I really nice install and you can save your money....you won't need one. Do you install first, and then decide if you need one or not, you may be surprised. Also...your best sq decks don't have built in eq's

99StangGt
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
The eq in most decks are of very low quality. If you choose to use an eq, go with an h701 from alpine.....However, IMO eq's can make the car sound processed unless you really know what you are doing.....and I mean REALLY know. I really nice install and you can save your money....you won't need one. Do you install first, and then decide if you need one or not, you may be surprised. Also...your best sq decks don't have built in eq's

Why do you say that the eq in decks are low quality? Its a digital eq just like the H701. I prefer analog eqs myself. I know with analog eqs there is a quality difference. Just wondering why deck eqs are not as good.

niebur3
08-09-2008, 12:21 AM
The insides are not as good, much lower quality. The H701 costs more than most head units....there's a reason why...you get what you pay for!

Super Pickle
08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
dont most headunits even with parametric EQ's still have like bass, treble, fader etc?

Im just wondering, the only headunit ive used is an 880prs so i dont know to much about them

SQChevy
08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
The true purpose of the eq, in theory, is to take a good install and adjust for imperfections in the vehicle. If things have been placed properly you shouldn't need a lot of tweaking on the eq. I prefer the H701 from Alpine. I've had mine since the H700 came out with the control set and the eq and it's worked wonderfully.

mcsoul
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd like to get a trunk mount parametric and set it flat with
a mic analyzer. Then use a smaller graphic unit up front
(HU eq ok) to manipulate the sound for any given song.

But that's just me.