PDA

View Full Version : Doing Alarm Install today

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I am going to install my AM5 alarm today and need some advice. It will be going in a 94 accord. First off is there anything I can do that will mess the whole car up? If so what should I be most careful doing and should i d/c the battery?

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
also it says

Obtaining a 12v constant

We reccomend two possible sources for a 12v constant either the ignition switch or the + battery of the terminal. What is easier to use?

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
The ignition harness plugs into the key cylinder. These are the last connections you want to make. Use this link for help.
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1454104/page/1#Post1454104
Don't rush into this. Follow the tips and I will answer any questions you have. You better have your multimeter handy.

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah I have a multi meter. And should i d/c the battery or not?

matte
08-07-2008, 03:53 PM
i have a 94 accord, and i put the alarm in it. let me know if you have any questions :)

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
No do not disconnect the battery.

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 04:26 PM
i have a 94 accord, and i put the alarm in it. let me know if you have any questions :)

Where did you put the control module?

wu501
08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
In case you don't already have this information:

Constant 12V+ White Ignition Switch Harness or Fuse Panel
Starter Black/White Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Black/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 White/Black Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Blue Distributor
Neutral Safety Wire Green/White 12 Pin Connector Gear Select Switch
Brake Switch Green/White Brake Switch
Trunk Release Orange/Silver Dots in Harness Driver's Front Door Sill
Trunk Pin Orange/Silver (-) Right of Column Gray Connector
Parking Lights Red/Black Fuse Panel Blue Connector
Head Lamp Blue Left of Column Blue Connector
Hood Pin n/a
Factory Disarm n/a
Door Trigger Black/White (-) Right of Column Gray Connector
Door Lock Black/White (-) Gray Connector above Fuse Panel TapeD to Harness
Door Unlock Orange (-)
Horn Wire Dark Blue/Red (-) Horn
Windows Up LF=Red/Blue, RF=Blue/Yellow
Windows Down LF=Red/Yellow, RF=Yellow/Green

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Where did you put the control module?
Find a good place that uis hard to get to. On your car it can go behind the AC vent on the left side of the dash. After the metal bracket goes back on you can't get it out. Run the wires to the back of the inner dash and to the locations where thay will be connected. The harness is long on that alarm.

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
alright cool and i dont have to worry about connecting anything to the battery right? And what is the best thing to use to make the connections? I have the little wire ring things or I could just use electrical tape. Or if I need to ill go buy crimps

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Solder

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Read the link and check out the PDF document at the top. Don't rush into this. Do it right the first time.

wu501
08-07-2008, 04:47 PM
No do not disconnect the battery.

Why would you leave the battery connected? Wouldn't you risk shorting something out when making connections?

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I am gonna do it tomorrow i decided im going to spend tonight reading up on it

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Why would you leave the battery connected? Wouldn't you risk shorting something out when making connections?
1. FUSES PROTECT CIRCUITS
2. YOU CAN'T TEST THE WIRES WITHOUT POWER

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Everything that needs to be fused already is right?

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes but be careful not to cross any wires in the car.

TurdFergueson2
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
If the OP wanted to install some horns to his alarm, how difficult is that? And which ones would be recommended?

IamMurph
08-07-2008, 07:52 PM
OP?

This alarm has siren and horn outputs. I like using the car horn along with the after market siren.

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I am installing one horn as well. Where should I position that in my car? And do i just completly cut the wires then re solder them with teh new wires?

azbass
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I am going to install my AM5 alarm today and need some advice. It will be going in a 94 accord. First off is there anything I can do that will mess the whole car up? If so what should I be most careful doing and should i d/c the battery?

you sure you ready to install an alarm?

darkhunter139
08-07-2008, 11:22 PM
you sure you ready to install an alarm?

No not really but how else am I gonna learn

IamMurph
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I am installing one horn as well. Where should I position that in my car? And do i just completly cut the wires then re solder them with teh new wires?
Location depends on where you can hide it. Now don't confuse horn (beep beep) with Siren (6 tone 128db loud thing).

thaster
08-08-2008, 01:33 AM
i suggest you get a cheap airhorn(hella airhorn is what i use) and some mini piezo sirens to go along with your alarm. everybody will notice your car when it goes off!

TurdFergueson2
08-08-2008, 01:57 AM
i suggest you get a cheap airhorn(hella airhorn is what i use) and some mini piezo sirens to go along with your alarm. everybody will notice your car when it goes off!

this is what I meant. Something like a rain horn that I saw people using. I need some **** that's loud and different.

willywonka
08-08-2008, 02:02 AM
good info

thaster
08-08-2008, 12:48 PM
this is what I meant. Something like a rain horn that I saw people using. I need some **** that's loud and different.

its easy to add extra sirens. just splice into your siren output of the brain with a relay. then connect all the sirens to the relay.

Low_e_Red
08-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I just read this and am getting worried for the car.

Do you even really know how to use the meter to find + and - switches?

Do you know what the difference is between a cold and normal solder joint? Do you know how to tell if its a cold joint?

Do you understand relays FULLY?

Do you understand wiring diagrams?

Do you know how to use and read a meter correctly?

If you answered no to any of these questions, take it to someone. This is serious business. Many things can be screwed up with an alarm because it taps into almost all of the important things. This is for the extremely experienced installers ONLY!

darkhunter139
08-09-2008, 02:06 AM
I just read this and am getting worried for the car.

Do you even really know how to use the meter to find + and - switches? yes

Do you know what the difference is between a cold and normal solder joint? Do you know how to tell if its a cold joint? no

Do you understand relays FULLY? no

Do you understand wiring diagrams? yes

Do you know how to use and read a meter correctly? yes

If you answered no to any of these questions, take it to someone. This is serious business. Many things can be screwed up with an alarm because it taps into almost all of the important things. This is for the extremely experienced installers ONLY!

I am thinking about just taking it to someone.

IamMurph
08-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Everyone has to start somewhere but knowing your limitations is not a weakness.