PDA

View Full Version : Subs in boat

Ak47
06-13-2003, 09:48 PM
Hey, im plannin on puttin 2 10 inch subs in my boat. Right now they share a box, but its dimensions dont fit anywhere in my boat. I plan to build two boxes and put them under the lid opening type seats in the back, one on each side. I want to know if by doing this the bass will be dampened by the seats and if i will lose sound quality. I would also like help on how to build the boxes if possible. Ill give dimensions if ne1 can help. Thnx,
-Ak
Its a glastron 185 if ne1 knows boats.

ramos
06-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ak47
Hey, im plannin on puttin 2 10 inch subs in my boat. Right now they share a box, but its dimensions dont fit anywhere in my boat. I plan to build two boxes and put them under the lid opening type seats in the back, one on each side. I want to know if by doing this the bass will be dampened by the seats and if i will lose sound quality. I would also like help on how to build the boxes if possible. Ill give dimensions if ne1 can help. Thnx,
-Ak
Its a glastron 185 if ne1 knows boats.

I went through this last year. Under the seats will almost completely kill the output. I ended up building a couple of fiberglass boxes underneath the consoles. :0

IMAD!man
06-22-2003, 11:07 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with being "underneath" a seat as it does with location. I placed 2 subs behind my rear seat in my 2002 silverado and they are actually touching the top part of the rubber and they sound excellent. The bass increases only slightly when I lay the seat back down. In all my experience installing subs I have learned that they like to be in a box and then pointed at something other than the listener. I can't get a good picture of what you are doing because you didn't say what kind of boat it was. I have a 268 Slickcraft and I put 2 12" compVRs in the back to back fold down seat. I positioned them to fire into the freeboard away from the listeners. You can not even see them they are on the outboard side of the seatbase and only about 10" away from the freeboard. I did this after testing with a box with 2 12s and moving it around and listening. There were lots of places where they were very weak. You don't need to have 2 subs to test for 2 subs. You can just get a small truck box with a sub in it and long speaker wire and move it around and test.

ramos
07-01-2003, 05:29 PM
In my case it had everything to do with being under the seats. I have a Baja Outlaw. The seat bases and bottoms are so thick and well insulated. I could hide dead bodies in there .....errrr..... never mind :evil: :)