PDA

View Full Version : My first (and probably last) flared slot port box

tommyk90
08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, today I decided to try and build a flared slot port box. The design was simple enough and so was the construction.

Being a n00b to flared ports I got a scrap piece and practiced on that. Confident in my technique, I assembled the box, leaving the flared port wall last.

Well, I tried to make the side of the box and the port all one piece, which you can see from the pics didn't work out so well.

While getting the piece lined up and predrilled the end slipped out from my grip, flinging the piece of wood out (under tension from the bending) and landing squarely on the ground where it broke in half. :crying:

Still determined to make this **** work, I decided to do a more half-assed approach that was much easier and gave me the same results. 3.9ish cubes, tuned to 33-34 hz for a pair of brutus 12's.

All in all, not bad for a first attempt, but frankly that **** is more work than it is worth. Props to you box builders who do this crap all day long. :crazy:

Also, keep in mind that I don't have a table saw either, so that was done with a circular saw and a guide that I rigged up.

My nice cuts
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/installs/P7250327.jpg

Box assembled minus the port/side and top
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/installs/P7250328.jpg

The finished product
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/installs/P7250329.jpg

Shot in the port
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/installs/P7250330.jpg

The aftermath. Another drawback of doing a flared slot port.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/tommyk90/installs/P7250331.jpg

And for those of you worried, yes the inside of the flare is reinforced (kitty hair) and that joint you see between the side and the flare part is filled in with the good 'ole sawdust and glue mixture.

lilmaniac2
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
yay

bonesninja
08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
i just build a flared port box and it was definately a pain in the *** to build. i feel your pain bro

WOT
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
So how did u end up doing the second port?

Curious what benefit if any this has

bonesninja
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
i managed to make the whole port and front side of the box 1 piece tho

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/bonesninja/DSC02692.jpg

tommyk90
08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
So how did u end up doing the second port?

Curious what benefit if any this has

The second port just has a joint where it meets the side piece (that line inbetween the two rows of screws) instead of being one solid piece like in bonesninja's pic.

i managed to make the whole port and front side of the box 1 piece tho

That was my original intent, but having that piece break in half and not having enough wood for another attempt forced me to do it the way I did. :(

Still came out fine though.

15nissen
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
now what really matters, is it loud?

Thats alot more work then aero ports if its quiet.

tommyk90
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
now what really matters, is it loud?

Thats alot more work then aero ports if its quiet.

No idea if its loud. It's going in a car thats not going to compete. :)

Yes it was a lot of work, but the reason I did it was to see if I could. Not really necessary for this application, I just wanted to try it.

Memphis4L
08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
wow looks tough

mlstrass
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Seems like I suggested that 2 piece idea the other night ;)

Looks like it came out nice though and it's not that much easier on a table saw, just a little faster. Not worth the hassle IMO, but you have to try it once to say you did it...

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Seems like I suggested that 2 piece idea the other night ;)

Looks like it came out nice though and it's not that much easier on a table saw, just a little faster. Not worth the hassle IMO, but you have to try it once to say you did it...

:D

Yeah, I didn't think a table saw would be much easier. I'm happy with the outcome even with all the problems I had. Now hopefully it performs well. :)

jmanpc
08-02-2008, 03:02 AM
after doing it a few times, its not as bad.

TheFiverMan
08-02-2008, 03:02 AM
nice build..

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 03:03 AM
after doing it a few times, its not as bad.

Problem is, I hate building boxes. Even for myself. :laugh:

I just built this for a buddy of mine and wanted to try a flared port. Sweating my *** off in a 90 degree garage isn't exactly what I call "fun".

delvryboy
08-02-2008, 03:06 AM
hmm, I'd like a box like that and I don't have the time to build it.....

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 03:10 AM
hmm, I'd like a box like that and I don't have the time to build it.....

gimmie money and i'll consider it. :)

Hintzyboy
08-02-2008, 03:17 AM
gimmie money and i'll consider it. :)

Or he could just hit up BJ at Fisher Customs if you keep whining;)

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Or he could just hit up BJ at Fisher Customs if you keep whining;)

Delvryboy is one of my teammates and local. :)

BJ does very nice work though.

delvryboy
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
PM me what you would want for 4.0@35hz w/ 40-50" port. It would be for a 15 and the sub and port would both be on the same plane.

I'm on my way to the northwoods and won't be back until Saturday. I really want to try this 15 for that show on Sunday.

PSturmer
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
thats funny cuz i did the same exact thing. the first and only time i attempted the flare i picked up the end of the flair piece off the table saw and it broke. if i ever do need a flair i decided it would be easiest to use rounded cardboard and then just resin it.

jotogo
08-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I got my flared port box from the best flared port builder on the globe
my 10" subs slam and outperform any equivilant set up I have ever heard

PTS FTW!!

PSturmer
08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I got my flared port box from the best flared port builder on the globe
my 10" subs slam and outperform any equivilant set up I have ever heard

PTS FTW!!

lol

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
PM me what you would want for 4.0@35hz w/ 40-50" port. It would be for a 15 and the sub and port would both be on the same plane.

I'm on my way to the northwoods and won't be back until Saturday. I really want to try this 15 for that show on Sunday.

I need some dimensions. I know width isn't a problem but what about height/depth?

delvryboy
08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
****... I'll measure it a little later and send you a PM.

DDSC
08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
thank you, I was wondering how people did that but never took the time to ask about it. Is there any way to make the flare look smoother so the ridges dont stand out, and how do you know what the curve is going to look like BEFORE you do your cutting and assembly, is it based on how many lines are cut or what

bonesninja
08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
thank you, I was wondering how people did that but never took the time to ask about it. Is there any way to make the flare look smoother so the ridges dont stand out, and how do you know what the curve is going to look like BEFORE you do your cutting and assembly, is it based on how many lines are cut or what

yes, its based on how many grooves and how close they are spaced.

tommyk90
08-02-2008, 11:05 PM

With MDF it's difficult to get rid of the ridges because MDF is not made to bend.

If you use birch or some other layered wood it's much easier to bend and looks smoother. You could sand out the ridges on the MDF I guess, but that's a lot of work. :)

As for the flare itself, thats what I used some scrap wood for. Tried different cut depths and spaces until i got the curve I wanted.