PDA

View Full Version : My new Honda has a "BUILT-IN" HU

longhot
07-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

My new Honda Accord comes with an original built in head unit,
http://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer2/20122005/964563/accord-(5)_wa.jpg
my question for those of you who familiar with Honda, is this HU worth anything or if I want high quality listening I should buy something else ?
the problem is that I don't think other Head units will fit there.

FurbiesAndBeans
07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
IIRC there are kits to be able to put an aftermarket stereo in there and not look bad

blazeplacid
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
those head units are ok

if you wanna keep the factory radio you can add a rockford 3sixty or similar and be able to use amps

you keep sterring wheel controls and such also

if it was me id take it out and put a nice navi unit in it

gunz4me
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I had a similar HU in my now totaled 2007 V6 6MT Sedan. There is one kit that allows you to convert your dual climate controls to single climate controls and install an aftermarket HU where the stock radio was, but that kit is about $250 ish. The other kit took the place of the lower storage compartment, had the dual plug, and allowed you to keep your factory HU for the dual climate controls while using an aftermarket HU for your sound system. I think that kit was around $45 or so when I was looking last year.

Regardless, all is a moot point in my case since I was hit head on while returning from the friggin grocery store resulting in a total loss of my 10 month old car.

longhot
08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
those head units are ok

if you wanna keep the factory radio you can add a rockford 3sixty or similar and be able to use amps

you keep sterring wheel controls and such also

if it was me id take it out and put a nice navi unit in it

by saying o.k you mean that they equal in sound quality to Brands that we know,like Alpine,eclipse and so ?
can I plug it to amp as it is ?

this Rockford 3sixty, what it spoused to do ?

thanks

blazeplacid
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
the 3 sixty takes what your radio puts out and allows you to adjust the eq bands,time alighnment, and crossover slopes and plug in an amp for front rear and sub

you control the 3sixty with a bluetooth device,the module itself has no buttons,so make sure you have a phone that will do blutooth or a laptop

if you want to keep the factory look and dont wanna mess with climate controls,the 3sixty is the way to go

read up about it

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
i have a friend that just bought one of those (new accord) and the sound is not bad at all...
what are you thinking of doing, that way it makes it easier for us to give you options...

if you wanna swap out the door speaker, add a sub and so on... i'd just go ahead and switch out that whole unit... and put in a nice nav unit (flip out single din) and then go ahead and do the rest of your system all at once. i have not seen the kit for that yet, but im sure you can find one that will look ok in it's place

Team OSC SVT
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
i dont think you will find a kit to keep the dual climate controls. IIRC the kit we order here (ccity) from metra is about 150...... the pocket conversion is also an option for you but looks kinda funky with the stock radio staying in place. Post up the yr and all the info on the car and I'll give you the dash kit part number

Megalomaniac
08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6188/dsc00755ht1.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1181/accord1jv9.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7721/hondaaccord20052nd2.jpg
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XA3Xj6W0UIM/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=112200&i=120997862&tp=3121

there is also another kit for the 7th gen accord, buts not meant for dual climate zone controls.

longhot
08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
i have a friend that just bought one of those (new accord) and the sound is not bad at all...
what are you thinking of doing, that way it makes it easier for us to give you options...

I want to keep the original HU but I want better sound.

gunz4me
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Do you want to make use of the factory HU as part of your sound system? If so, look into the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.

If you want to use a different head unit, I would go with the kit that does away with your lower storage compartment. All I ever used my storage compartment for was to store my Ipod that I had interfaced to the factory HU.

Motley
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Get an aftermarket HU if you want better sound.

Megalomaniac
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM

you can start by replacing the factory speakers. :) then from there if you arent satisfied looking into more processing power(like that 3sixty)

Pl8er
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Why do you guys put carpet on the dash?

I don't like or dislike it, just really curious if it is for looks or functional?

Megalomaniac
08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Why do you guys put carpet on the dash?

I don't like or dislike it, just really curious if it is for looks or functional?

well thats not my car. but it does have a function. its to protect the dash, in strong heat the dash can warp and crack. Audio-wise its known to lift your stage height quite a bit. :)

Pl8er
08-04-2008, 04:33 PM
well thats not my car. but it does have a function. its to protect the dash, in strong heat the dash can warp and crack. Audio-wise its known to lift your stage height quite a bit. :)

Wow, that is good to know!

I'll have to try that sometime.