PDA

View Full Version : headunit remote wire question/help?

yne721
07-30-2008, 02:12 AM
alright, so i've been having a problem with my system over the last month, there's a popping sound coming from my front stage. at first i thought maybe the amp or speaker wire was grounded out somewhere, but i checked everywhere and couldn't find anywhere. rerouted the wires just to make sure, and the noise continues. The noise is completely irregular. Sometimes it will be going at like 180 bpm, sometimes it will only go at like 15 bpm.

so my first question is, the noise only happens when my car is running. it does not make the noise when i just have my key in ACC. So could my remote wire be the culprit? since i couldn't find any grounding out, and i sanded all my amp grounds to make sure they were clean, could the wire i'm tapped into for my remote power be the problem?

and if so, could i just run the remote power wire straight to the battery with a toggle switch on the dash? Once i put a whole new electrical system(wiring and all) in my car, i'll hook it back up the way it's supposed to be, but i have so much old wire floating around behind my dash and near my fuse box, i don't really feel like ******* with any of the wires because i don't want to **** something up...

Prowler573
07-30-2008, 03:13 AM
alright, so i've been having a problem with my system over the last month, there's a popping sound coming from my front stage. at first i thought maybe the amp or speaker wire was grounded out somewhere, but i checked everywhere and couldn't find anywhere. rerouted the wires just to make sure, and the noise continues. The noise is completely irregular. Sometimes it will be going at like 180 bpm, sometimes it will only go at like 15 bpm.

so my first question is, the noise only happens when my car is running. it does not make the noise when i just have my key in ACC. So could my remote wire be the culprit? since i couldn't find any grounding out, and i sanded all my amp grounds to make sure they were clean, could the wire i'm tapped into for my remote power be the problem?

and if so, could i just run the remote power wire straight to the battery with a toggle switch on the dash? Once i put a whole new electrical system(wiring and all) in my car, i'll hook it back up the way it's supposed to be, but i have so much old wire floating around behind my dash and near my fuse box, i don't really feel like ******* with any of the wires because i don't want to **** something up...
Yep.
If you decide to go this route might I suggest a lit toggle rather than an unlit one as to hopefully prevent forgetting to disarm the amp when the car is off resulting in a dead battery overnight?

yne721
07-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Yep.
If you decide to go this route might I suggest a lit toggle rather than an unlit one as to hopefully prevent forgetting to disarm the amp when the car is off resulting in a dead battery overnight?

i was thinking about that, but since my car doesn't have any interior lights it'd be pretty easy to see if i left my headunit on.

on a side note, where have you been guy how are you?

Fiercetimbo17
07-30-2008, 04:08 AM
what kind of car do you have?

yne721
07-30-2008, 04:17 AM
what kind of car do you have?

79 super beetle

the wiring is a mess because the first owner put a whole bunch of power accesories on it and did it himself so it's a rats nest.