PDA

View Full Version : Bad to port to the side???

gsuchyta
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I can't fit 2 15's and 2 6" ports on the front baffle board which is facing into the cabin so....

Either go sealed, which I don't like or...

(1) 6" port going out the left side and one going out the right or....

both 6" ports going out same side.

BTW facing subs towards the trunk blocks it off from the cabin. and not enough room to put ports facing up.

gsuchyta
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Does it affect anything if the ports are going out to the side??

mazdakid
07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
sometimes its louder with them to the side.
id face both ports in the same direction though.

gsuchyta
07-29-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks that is what I was thinking. **** 6" aeros are expensive. Any body got some they want to sell lol

slam
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
i have mines on each side... 2 4" ports on each side and 2 12" bl facing up. when it hits that 30 hz it freaking lights up my old lady's car

gsuchyta
07-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm doing 2 15" IXL in the trunk of my civic. It will be an in-trunk build taking up my whole trunk. the subs are sharing about 5.7 cu ft. after port and sub displacement. Should be loud.

slam
07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
ill try and vid it tomorrow and post it

operationcougar
07-30-2008, 09:38 PM
ive done it a few times, no real problems, i always go by the rule to make sure the ports are the same distance from the subs if there are multiple and on different sides

kinda like this

---p-------
[ (s)
[ (s)
---p-------

and not this

--p--------
[ (s)
[ (s)
-------p---

i dont know if it really matters all that much, ive seen some done the other way and they didnt seem to live up to there potential (could have been builder error)

ThatChevyGuy
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
your box confused the **** out of me. WTF am i looking at?

SSS 18734
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
thanks that is what I was thinking. **** 6" aeros are expensive. Any body got some they want to sell lol

It's much cheaper to use PVC piping from your local hardware store ;)

People on this forum have had good results side-firing ports in their trunks here. I say go for it.

shizzzon
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
i fire mine to the side in scion tc, it's sweet.

I tried a LOT of other designs in this hatchback and only 3 excelled in hitting the highest SPL numbers from 31-55hz.

Those 3 designs were
sub up, port back
Sub back, port back
Sub forward, port to passenger side.

I chose sub forward, port to passenger side.

Difference?
Sub back port back had the highest averaging spl level for the frequency range but it's gonna cause more rattle then any other design.
Sub up port back sustained the highest peaking SPL level but it was harder to fit equipment in there because i couldnt block the ports...

Sub forward, port to passenger side- This was choice of install for this car! It had the best sounding design WITH the highest averaging spl level. In terms of Peak spl level, it was only 0.4 db down from sub up port back.... But i made up for that loss because i was able to add an extra 2,500w of power in the car with extra batts compared to the sub up port back design so actually, sub forward, port to passenger side is louder... i can fit more equipment in there and is only 0.4 db lower than sub up port back, :)