PDA

View Full Version : 9887 Crossover...

Phlipbak
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Ok, installed ID OEM's and seas neo tweets.. mids work great.. tweeters blew.. the gain is all the way down on my 120x4@4 ohm amp so that's not it.. the crossover is annoying me I don't understand..

Phlipbak
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Well. is the front preout mids or tweets? I had tweets in it..

tsenfw
07-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I think the rears are for the tweets, and the fronts for the mids. Not %100 percent sure though, it was quite a while ago.

James Bang
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
time to bust out the manual

x2o
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think it's in the manual. I just busted out mine in hopes of helping you out, but no luck :(

andrewmoore13
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
make sure you tell us how it was supposed to go lol

James Bang
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
probably best to test with jsut the mids hooked up and play with the crossover points.

Phlipbak
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I did.. but check this out.. the mids rca's are in the rear outs (where the manual says the tweets should go) and the tweets rca's are in the front outs (where the manual says mids should go).. but when I set the HPF for the highs and the mids' bandpass stuf, the tweets' HPF goes to it's rca unlike the manual says and the mid's bandpass goes to its rca unlike the manual says.. so they are getting the desired active crossover points, just not how the manual says they should be... i don't get it..

NEW PROBLEM:

Door speakers, when turned past 25, cut out and get REALLY REALLY barely audible quiet then after about 5 seconds crank up... and repeat, over and over until turned back down to low 20's or such.. gain is only on halfway and HU only puts out 4v pre's at max volume and it's at a lil over haf volume being at 25-30... UGH!! WHAT IS WRONG..

the shop couldn't even figure it out, but they said even in the high pass preout the tweets are still getting mids (this is with 3.2k at 24db/octave setting on the HU) and since the manual says we have the rca's backwards we switched em.. guess what... the mids then got the highs.. I don't FREAKING understand..

Phlipbak
07-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Phlipbak
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Guys help me out

James Bang
07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I did.. but check this out.. the mids rca's are in the rear outs (where the manual says the tweets should go) and the tweets rca's are in the front outs (where the manual says mids should go).. but when I set the HPF for the highs and the mids' bandpass stuf, the tweets' HPF goes to it's rca unlike the manual says and the mid's bandpass goes to its rca unlike the manual says.. so they are getting the desired active crossover points, just not how the manual says they should be... i don't get it..

that might be your problem

Phlipbak
07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Ya, but what I'm saying bro is that even though they're in the wrong inputs, the mids are getting the desired frequencies, and when we plug the mids into what the tweets were plugged into, we only get highs (meaning the rca's are in the right way.. which is opposite of what the manual says so I don't get it) but when we plug the tweets into where the mids were only getting highs from (the tweets rca's that we tested on the mids to make sure only highs were coming through) they get some mids and highs..

how is that possible if when this same RCA output sends only highs to the mids when the mids' rca's are plugged into it?

James Bang
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I say plug the rcas where the manual says and check your crossover points.

Beerdrnkr
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
I say plug the rcas where the manual says and check your crossover points.

I agree ^^^^.....No sense in blowing another set of tweets or your mids just because you don't feel like switching the RCA's, the manual says to hook it up like that for a reason.

Phlipbak
07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Lol guys I totally agree but what I'm saying is if I plug them in right, then the mids WILL get highs and the tweets WILL get mids.. I dunno why but that's how it is..

James Bang
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Lol guys I totally agree but what I'm saying is if I plug them in right, then the mids WILL get highs and the tweets WILL get mids.. I dunno why but that's how it is..

I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with the crossover points...

OR

You forgot to switch the unit into 3 way mode.

Phlipbak
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Just checked and here are my crossover points: LOW: it's off because my subs aren't in yet.. MID-L: 80 Hz/12db MID-H:3.2 kHz/24db HIGH: 3.2k/24db.... so there is nothing wrong with my crossover points. And it wouldn't even let me adjust mid-l or mid-h if the headunit wasn't on 3 way correct?

NEW PROBLEM:

Just realized my door speakers have some engine whine that increases with acceleration.. would this be a bad ground or something?

tsenfw
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
I would make those crossover points a little more conservative till you have things figured out. And don't overlap them till you know what preout is what. Something like:

MID-L: 100 Hz/12db MID-H:2.5 kHz/24db HIGH: 4.0khz/24db

Also, get some test tones so you know what frequency the speaker will be playing, sounds like you're just guessing. Don't understand how your tweeter would be playing highs AND some mids with the crossover on.

tsenfw
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Your answer is in this thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296879&highlight=9887

It's a mess of a thread but it's what I read through (COMPLETELY, some misinformation in the beginning) so I didn't blow my tweeters. Hooked everything up correct the first time.

Phlipbak
08-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Tried everything like that, but with the mids' RCA's in the front's they got highs and in the rear's they got the midrange.. I DONT get it..

GLN305
08-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Make sure the head unit is switched into 3-way mode and then press the reset button on the front for about 15 seconds and try again. Sometimes when switching to 3-way mode the head unit freaks out.
When checking to make sure it's in 3-way mode, move the switch back to 2-way and switch it back to 3-way, then hit the reset button with everything plugged in.

Phlipbak
08-01-2008, 04:42 AM
I have ALREADY checked the 3-way switch AND reset the headunit.

GLN305
08-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I have ALREADY checked the 3-way switch AND reset the headunit.

Did you flip the switch back to 2-way then to 3-way and reset then> You can also go into the headunit setup and rest all audio functions. I have been doing some reading for you and it seems that there were some units where the RCA's for the front/rear...mid/tweet are reversed. Just hook up the mid RCA to the head unit to determine which is which and use the other for the tweet. It should be very apparent which is which.

If none of this works, you have a bad headunit.

99StangGt
08-01-2008, 04:55 AM
I know with my 9835 the fronts are highs. I just went through the 9887 manual and it looks like the fronts are highs. Just hook the mids up and adjust the crossover points and see what they do. If you are blowing the Seas tweet then there is an issue and they are hooked up wrong. I had those tweeters active and they will play low but not mid low. Also check if you have makers selected in the setup menu, That will let you blow tweeters because it will let you go very low for the tweeters.

Phlipbak
08-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Ok, well I have all my stuff hooked up, I just cant figure out why the tweets' rca's are still gettin mids if they are crossed at 3.2k at 24db.......... I have no way to really test it again cuz I have no other crappy tweeters to test it on.....

Either way.. what explains my mids cuttin out and the alt/engine whine?

Phlipbak
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Welll...

My ID door speakers...

I think I found some of the problem..

First off, my gain on my amp is now at 2/5 or thereabouts, and my speakers don't cut out unless the amp has been on a while and I hit a bump or something, and when they do cut out I noticed that what's happening is my amp is going into protect for a bit...

Is this a bad connection..?

Also my amp isn't mounted yet it's just sittin in my trunk, which may be causing some of this since it's not screwed into a solid surface..

Phlipbak
08-03-2008, 01:14 AM
ttt

khanhfat
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Crossoveer on 9887 is simple.

Sub channel, then Mid channel which addresses the rear out put, and last is high channel which adjust the front input.

U can set the crossover freq and the slope for it. :D that's it.

Press band to switch the channel, Source to change slope , and left right button for the freq desired.

James Bang
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
OP, possibly you just adjusted the xover and slope for just one side? I

IRC the 9887 can adjust both sides seperately.

JUst a thought.

BEAVER.989
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I originally had a little mishap with mine, too. No matter where I set the x-overs it seemed like my left tweeter and left mid were getting full range signals. I too, thought I had the RCA's reversed. It turns out that my PG Xenon 100.4 has a selector that allows you to run all 4 ch with one set of inputs(RCA's)... pushed the button and voila, all was fixed.

Moral to the story... Don't forget to check the small stuff.

Phlipbak
08-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Crossoveer on 9887 is simple.

Sub channel, then Mid channel which addresses the rear out put, and last is high channel which adjust the front input.

U can set the crossover freq and the slope for it. :D that's it.

Press band to switch the channel, Source to change slope , and left right button for the freq desired.

This isn't what the manual says.. this is how mine is setup but manual and everyone else says mids are front not rear

audiobahnuser18
08-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Right now im running type s alpine comp set not the best . but im also running a 9887 h.u. man i can tell you what i got mine crossed at. cause i dont have no problems yet *knock on wood* lol.

Phlipbak
08-06-2008, 02:52 AM
what? that made no sense..

yischrax
08-07-2008, 07:52 PM
your door speaker problem sounds like you might have a wire that is grounding out. I would say that would make the amp go in protect when hitting some bumps and could cause the engine noise depending on how it is grounding out I would go threw and check the wire unhook the wires at the amp and check for a loop at the speaker side with it off the speaker using a dmm also check both positive and negitive to ground pushing on the door boot and places where the wire is ran to see if it grounds out or loops between the two wires. As for your problems with your x over settings wish I could help you out but I don't have a 9887 yet.