PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood 8120 vs. Eclipse AVN6620

Baller23217
07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to one of these two units. My main concern is ipod functionality. Navigation is also important. Bluetooth isn't as high up on the list, but both units have it so I'll be taking advantage of the feature. With that being said, can you guys please list some pros and cons of each unit?

I think I'd be able to get the Eclipse for about $150-200 less than the Kenwood (unless someone can point me in the direction of a good deal.) The unit would be going into an 08 350z. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome.

Innovative:Cory
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Eclipse > kenwood......

just on the ESN feature alone....

someone jacks your unit anytime during the first year you own it, they replace if for free...

southwest713
07-28-2008, 06:55 PM
i have the eclipse 6620 and live off the ipod.
only con i see is no pause button (?)

Baller23217
07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
how does each unit respond when you set a route for navigation and are listening to music? does the music mute while directions are given?

What about sound quality? Any noticeable differences?

bamaboy
07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
FYI i couldnt stand the eclipse nav units, we quit carrying them this year and pretty much only do the Kenwood units now, so much easier to use and lots better GUI, now i havnt used the newest Eclipse, but i dont see them going through a huge break through in technology

as far as sound control the new Kenwood has alot more controls and features than the eclipse's had, dont know about clean output but for everything else i would go with the DNX8120, great unit to use

forbidden
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Kenwood will support Ipod video, it's Garmin based mapping system is easily updated (unlike Eclipse where you must buy the new nav disc if and when in comes out), the support for bluetooth also seems to be superior as well.

Eclipse offers stunning tonal response and the ESN system is so far undefeated if theft is a concern.

After that both are very good units. I sell both and use the Eclipse for now, but it's days are numbered as I become more familiar with the Driftwood.

Baller23217
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I believe the Eclipse supports the ipod video as well and I don't plan on having either one stolen from my car, so the lack of a crazy security system isn't a deal breaker.

I just feel like if someone is gonna smash my window and go for my HU, they aren't gonna stop and say "wait, the Eclipse has ESN" and not try and rip it out.

MrDave
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
If nav is important, the Ken might be for you. Garmin nav is good. I haven't had any experience with the Eclipse nav. Some people dislike having to use the discs. A lot of it is a matter of preference. The Eclipse will be cheaper, at the end of the day. The Kenwood has more frills.

Baller23217
07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
If nav is important, the Ken might be for you. Garmin nav is good. I haven't had any experience with the Eclipse nav. Some people dislike having to use the discs. A lot of it is a matter of preference. The Eclipse will be cheaper, at the end of the day. The Kenwood has more frills.

I don't mind using a disc for the nav because I'll just be using an ipod for music.

plus cheaper is always better.

MrDave
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Well then why don't I connect you with my dealer. He uses one in his car, and he would definately be the one to speak about it's functionality.

I honesty went with the Kenwood for the Garmin Nav (not to say the Eclipse wont get you where you need to be) built in bluetooth, and some of the features.

Hands down, the Eclipse will have better SQ and as I've been told, menu function.

Either way you go, you will be satisfied. If money is an object, why not get the Eclipse with the better warranty?

Baller23217
07-29-2008, 12:44 AM
seems like i'll be leanin towards eclipse due to money constraints...unless i can find a used kenwood

do both (or either) display album art when playing ipod?

Baller23217
07-29-2008, 01:38 AM
basically, i just wanted to know if there were any strong arguments for me to NOT purchase one of these units.

djeazie
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Kenwood dislays album art. Id go with the Kenwood better EQ and also has T/A. Overall I think the Kenwood is a better H/U. But I am bias.

XTRProBoy
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
basically, i just wanted to know if there were any strong arguments for me to NOT purchase one of these units.

Only thing I don't like about the Kenwood is they dropped changer control :( Other than that it has pretty much every other type of connectivity though, so it's a small price to pay I guess.

djeazie
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
with ipod and mp3 players who uses a cd changer anymore?

Baller23217
07-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Kenwood dislays album art. Id go with the Kenwood better EQ and also has T/A. Overall I think the Kenwood is a better H/U. But I am bias.

whats T/A?

djeazie
07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
time alignment.

Mr. C
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Both are pretty **** good units, but the Kenwood gets my vote. Displays album art and video from the iPod on screen, plus in the 350z, you can have your steering wheel controls control all of the basic functions with the Kenwood interface. Two USB inputs so you could put a thumb drive on one and a dedicaed larger capacity hard drive on the other. Navigation is so dead on the money, it's beautiful. Simple to bypass, very expandable, and a great bang for the buck considering all of the included features.

Baller23217
08-01-2008, 02:43 AM
I don't need time alignment. I'd never use it.

Doesn't the Eclipse play video from an ipod too? and I would think there's an adapter to keep the function of the steering wheel controls for that unit too.

AppleBonker
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Anyone use the USB port to run music off a flash drive? Any info on how well that works? I'm looking to see how fast the interface runs and refreshes music off the jump drive. IE, is it slower, faster or comparable to running music off an iPod?

Doola36
08-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Anyone use the USB port to run music off a flash drive? Any info on how well that works? I'm looking to see how fast the interface runs and refreshes music off the jump drive. IE, is it slower, faster or comparable to running music off an iPod?

I use to have a Kenwood 7019 and when I use my flash drive it took a few minutes before you could go to the next track. I never got a chance to use the IPOD connection. But when I would go from ACC to starting my truck I had to wait some minutes before I coudl go to the next track.

blazeplacid
08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
no delay when switching on the 8120 with usb or ipod

AppleBonker
08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
no delay when switching on the 8120 with usb or ipod

Would you mind telling me how you have your music organized on the usb flash drive? I definitely think this has something to do with the speed of accessing and scrolling through the directory.

Doola36
08-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Would you mind telling me how you have your music organized on the usb flash drive? I definitely think this has something to do with the speed of accessing and scrolling through the directory.

After reading other post about the kenwood HUs I didn't have it organized in a way where it would read the media fast. So I just learned something new for my next Kenwood HU.

AppleBonker
08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
After reading other post about the kenwood HUs I didn't have it organized in a way where it would read the media fast. So I just learned something new for my next Kenwood HU.

What is the optimum organizational method?

blazeplacid
08-09-2008, 04:14 PM

just got full albums

maybe 5 or 6 ,its a 1 gb flash drive

no problems at all.

Ipod is a bit faster

when i had the Eclipse there was some lag but nothing to get upset about

people just like to be picky and cant wait 1-2 seconds :rolleyes:

Doola36
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
What is the optimum organizational method?

I juat read it soemwhere on CA.com. I just organized it by types of music and thats it. But someone was talking about organizing by albums-artist-etc.....something along those lines. I will be getting another Kenwood DD and play around with it differently. I used a 4GB Flash drive

Sierra08!
08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I got the 8120 as well, and use a 1 gb flash drive, just name the folders (i also name the song correctly) you want and if you dl songs with cd cover or other art it will show on the screen , nice feature, not to mention all the other things it does as well, nice HU

helotaxi
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Hands down, the Eclipse will have better SQ
:rolleyes:

greynolds
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got the Kenwood DDX812 and the optional nav unit for it (which makes it pretty much identical to the DNX8120 and for the purposes of this discussion, completely identical).

With a smallish USB thumb drive (I've got an 8GB drive that I picked up pretty cheap the other day at Officemax), the user interface for selecting artist, album, song, etc. is great. It's very quick to build up the initial list and easy to navigate.

However, with a much larger 120GB Western Digital Passport drive that's pretty much filled, it takes some number of minutes before the Kenwood finishes loading the list, it truncates the list of artists (at around 214, which I suspect is the published limit of folders within a folder - reorganization by grouping artists into genre or A-Z folders should help that), and seems to be sluggish.

I've also tried out the iPod interface, but only with a 2GB Nano so far (my older iPod Photo 60GB isn't compatible). With the Nano loaded up, the iPod interface is blazingly quick and loads right up. I'm hoping that it will be (nearly) as quick with a larger iPod as I'm figuring on getting one of the new iPod Classic 120GB models. If anyone has used the current Kenwood HU's with a large iPod with 5000+ tracks, I'd be interested to hear how fast the user interface is.

greynolds
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
However, with a much larger 120GB Western Digital Passport drive that's pretty much filled, it takes some number of minutes before the Kenwood finishes loading the list, it truncates the list of artists (at around 214, which I suspect is the published limit of folders within a folder - reorganization by grouping artists into genre or A-Z folders should help that), and seems to be sluggish.
Update - I reorganized my 120GB drive to have folders for each letter plus a 0-9 folder and moved each artist to the appropriate folder based on the first letter of the artist name. This didn't seem to change anything - my artist list is still truncated and it still takes a long time for the initial load of the list.

Mr. C
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I've also tried out the iPod interface, but only with a 2GB Nano so far (my older iPod Photo 60GB isn't compatible). With the Nano loaded up, the iPod interface is blazingly quick and loads right up. I'm hoping that it will be (nearly) as quick with a larger iPod as I'm figuring on getting one of the new iPod Classic 120GB models. If anyone has used the current Kenwood HU's with a large iPod with 5000+ tracks, I'd be interested to hear how fast the user interface is.

I have an 80gb classic iPod. My friend has a 160gb classic.
I have about 1000 songs on mine and he has about 7000 on his.

No problems or lag time with either one on my DNX7100. Switching speed is very quick and it's off and playing as soon as I click the cable into either iPod.

It should be the same for the newer Kenwood double din units.

greynolds
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I have an 80gb classic iPod. My friend has a 160gb classic.
I have about 1000 songs on mine and he has about 7000 on his.

No problems or lag time with either one on my DNX7100. Switching speed is very quick and it's off and playing as soon as I click the cable into either iPod.

It should be the same for the newer Kenwood double din units.
Thanks for the feedback - exactly what I was looking for. Off to order my new iPod, but I need to decide whether I go with a 160GB Classic while they're still available or get the "new" 120GB model - pricing will probably be the deciding factor.

Sierra08!
09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Kenwood hands down, I had both, Used the 8120 during the hurricane, it helped me find hotels, food, gas everything, it has sooo many features and is easy to, I never was a Kenwood fan until I got this, plus love the 15 band EQ

Baller23217
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks