PDA

View Full Version : Alpine ipod control question about the album up/down

Proximity
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Not sure if anyone will know this, but I have an alpine HU with the ipod control. There is a button that lets you skip through album's like a song, but the problem is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway have any idea why?

helix66
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a cda-9885, it is decent navigation but it has it's flaws. Here's what I figured out after a lot of fiddling around. If you navigate to a song in a playlist or album you'll notice in the upper part of the display a icon that looks something like "<P>" when that is displayed you can then use the >>fwd rev<< songs or the playlist/album/artist >>|fwd rev|<< buttons. If you take the key out of the ignition, the ipod will remember where it was but it will have forgotten how it got there and only the song will advance not the play list or album and the icon "<P>" will not be there. I have not checked to see if that icon changes per item artist/album/playlist/genre/etc "<?>".

Hope this wasn't too confusing! I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out this quirky navigation, and have considered wiring the unit so that it has a constant power source to avoid this. A lot of times I go through the "button ballet" to get to what I want then I stop off somewhere and you are stuck in where you navigated to only to have to do it all over, definitely a design flaw in my opinion.

BringDaBoom
07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
What unit is it? I have the W205 and I haven't had a problem.

helix66
07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I doubt the OP has the unit you are referring to, that thing looks far more advanced than the dumb cda series.

BringDaBoom, how's the navigation on your HU, after you restart the car? Does it remember where it was and can also navigate back out w/o starting the process all over?

BringDaBoom
07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
I doubt the OP has the unit you are referring to, that thing looks far more advanced than the dumb cda series.

BringDaBoom, how's the navigation on your HU, after you restart the car? Does it remember where it was and can also navigate back out w/o starting the process all over?

I don't have the blackbird for the W205. Sorry I can't provide input

andrewmoore13
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
i have noticed this on my 9887 as well.

Bun-Bun
07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah when you shut off the HU or disconnect the Ipod it forgets how it gets to the music and can no longer use the album up/down navigation.

My solution to this is I create on the go playists while I am at work to listen to on my ride home lol.

helix66
07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't have the blackbird for the W205. Sorry I can't provide input

I was referring to iPod navigation not gps!

I'm considering running a constant power lead to the hu instead of the standard wiring, so I'll have to manually shut off the hu each time but at least the navigation should still work; unless I remove the iPod.

Proximity
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Ahh okay, I see. I'll test it out the next time I jump in my car, thanks.

bass_lover1
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Yea, once you lose power to the iPod, that neat feature goes away.

Scrolling through the iPod isn't hard though, you know that you can hit the station preset buttons to skip like 20 artists forward right?

helix66
08-02-2008, 11:46 AM
That is a nice feature about this hu but you're still going through the unintuitive finger dance to get to the next selection that was moments ago accessible with one button. I know it is a lot better than the previous model my buddy has, I just expected them to go the extra foot to make the navigation closer to the iPod.