PDA

View Full Version : HU With Best USB Directory?

joshpoints
07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey I really want to get a head unit with USB capability but a common problem seems to be the difficulty in navigating through the USB directory. I've heard complaints towards JVC and Pioneer's design.

Should I just wait a few years for manufacturers to make improvements?

Is there a company that has mastered it yet?

Thanks.

blazeplacid
07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
i have both the pioneer 5000 and 6000 both of the usb work great, some people just like to ***** about every little thing

i really like it and its really fast
never froze on me
and you can hold the list button and it will bring up all the songs by the same artist

kidwolf909
07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
i have both the pioneer 5000 and 6000 both of the usb work great, some people just like to ***** about every little thing

never froze on me
and you can hold the list button and it will bring up all the songs by the same artist

I agree... I had a Pioneer 6900UB and loved the USB input on it, never a problem, never froze, displayed ID3 tags perfectly. My 7200mkII was a downgrade in that respect, but I didn't mind :)

LBC99
07-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I have a Kenwood x890, mainly for the USB input. It is an awesome HU and the USB control is pretty fast. Definitely look into Kenwood for its USB functionality.

joshpoints
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM

never froze on me

Question let's say u have a subfolder titled "rock". Can you select the "rock" folder and have it play all the subfolders that are within the "rock" folder.

I want an hu capable of this kind of navigation.

another Lance
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
whats this USB interface thing? can you just have a bunch of MP3s on a thumb drive and plug it in? what brands have this besides pioneer and kenwood?

edzy
07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I run the Kenwood X890 as well. great indexing of folders. And I love the talking indexing that comes with the Phatnoise program. Dont even have to look at it to know whats playing.

Vid of it in action in my sig.

joshpoints
07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
whats this USB interface thing? can you just have a bunch of MP3s on a thumb drive and plug it in? what brands have this besides pioneer and kenwood?

I think most brands have it available on particular models but some require additional parts to use the capability and the parts can be expensive.

wu501
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
kenwood gets my vote. I have the x991 and the usb feature is awesome..plus you don't need to buy any extra adapters or anything.

edzy
07-27-2008, 10:43 PM
also, the kenwood has some nice features. Like auto time, displays the station, artist and album from radio stations, Which is great. Now when im driving i can see who is playing on the radio, great for those."who sings this?" song. Plus it can be set up to break to the latest traffic, weather and news updates. say your listening to a cd, it will just break in to a traffiic alert. pretty cool features, plus the usb indexing is great.

bamaboy
07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
i know the new kenwood units with nicer screen are awsome to use with usb

im not a fan of the X492, but 692 and 792 are so easy to get through folders and such, works the same with ipod, just turn the knob and bring up a folder list and just turn through it, excellent control and SQ imo

MBrock4u
07-28-2008, 04:34 AM
I have the X-990 as well This deck is the bomb! Obviously the USB is good, but the sq of this deck is just fantastic! :)

ls2poweredgoat
07-28-2008, 04:49 AM

GAM3OVR
07-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Hey I really want to get a head unit with USB capability but a common problem seems to be the difficulty in navigating through the USB directory. I've heard complaints towards JVC and Pioneer's design.

Should I just wait a few years for manufacturers to make improvements?

Is there a company that has mastered it yet?

Thanks.

Pioneer makes some **** good USB capability products

impaled
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
i had a JVC aresonal with the USB in the camaro that i got rid of. dont remember the model. but it worked awesome w/ a 4 gig thumb drive.

edzy
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
lastly, some of the Kenwoods, like mine, have what is called a G force analizer. It can display hourse power, G force and 1/4 mile times. Im sure it not very accurate, but still its fun to play around with. And you can DL diffrent movies for the display.

thehulkster321
07-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Do any of these usb compataple HU's have a shuffle mode for the usb drive? Thats all I'm really interested in ... I just dont want to navigate throuh folders I just want to plug in my flashdrive press shuffle and have my own radio station.

edzy
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
yes. its called random play. and with a 4 gig drive, its like a week to get thru.

matrxx dude
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
kenwood actually puts it in alphabetical order and lets you choose,pioneer dont do that

bikinpunk
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
w505's controls are very nice.

thehulkster321
08-01-2008, 02:32 AM
yes. its called random play. and with a 4 gig drive, its like a week to get thru.

Do all models have random play or only certian ones

kenwood actually puts it in alphabetical order and lets you choose,pioneer dont do that

So kenwood does not have random play? And Pioneer does?

If anyone owns a rear usb input headunit that has random play/shuffle on it please let me know ... alot of you gave good recomendations but no one has specifyd if it has a random play mode and for some reason I can never find this info in product information so I wasnt even sure if such a thing existed

Thanks,
Tony

lvjeffro
08-04-2008, 04:54 AM
Alpine ida-x100 has a really nice USB UI and has mix all, which will go through all your folders and sub folders