PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing head unit

JamMasterClay
07-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I am looking to upgrade from my stock head unit, and I would really appreciate some help with this, as I am kind of overwhelmed with all the options.

My car is a '98 Buick Regal. Unless I am mistaken, the stock head unit is dual din size. I would like to put in a dual din head unit rather than a single with a pocket, although if there is something I could put in with a single din head unit besides a pocket that may be a good option. I have underbody lights installed, and I was looking for a single din sized controller for them but haven't found anything. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

So, assuming I'm getting a dual din head unit, there are a couple things I want to make sure to have, and a couple i don't need. First off, I would prefer not to spend over $250, but I could probably go up to $500. I would like something with a touchscreen, but i would also like to have at least a dial to control the volume. I would like something with a nice looking interface, I don't want the OSD to look like it was programed in the 60s. I will use my mp3 player (zune) 99% of the time (unless there is some way to have at least 30GB of music stored in the car, that will show ID3 tags on the OSD). I don't care about bluetooth or sat radio, and any with a TV tuner are pointless as far as i know now that everything's going digital. A cassette player would be nice, but I doubt any good unit would have one. I would also like it to be able to hook in the the stock steering wheel controls. Don't need navigation, because I think I would prefer an external gps unit. I would like something motorized. Remote control not necessary. I would prefer something with button lighting and OSD that can be changed. HD radio would be nice.

I think that's about it. Sorry it's so long but hopefully I covered everything at the beginning to there are less questions and such. I hope you guys can help me out, give me some ideas, and point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch!

tsenfw
07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Hmmm i would look into HU install kits. My friend had the same gen regal in 2 door and he got an adapter that was single din. I think he had to leave his stock radio in just kept it unhooked.

JamMasterClay
07-25-2008, 05:59 PM
thank you for the prompt response, but I don't really know what you mean, sorry. :-\

TurdFergueson2
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19719

tsenfw
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
oppps I think he had an earlier gen regal. Sorry, nevermind!

JamMasterClay
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19719

Thanks. I was actually looking at that one a little bit. It's a little more than I'd like to pay but I may not really have a choice for everything I want. I'll try to search for reviews and such for that unit. meanwhile, I'm still open for other comments/suggestions.

JamMasterClay
07-25-2008, 08:41 PM
how easy would it be to install a hard drive to hold all of my music rather than my mp3 player. would a head unit be able to read ID3 tags, or even album art. If so, is there a limitation to the capacity of the hard drive, and what units would allow for at least 30GB?

JamMasterClay
08-30-2008, 06:28 PM
i'm pretty sure i want to go with a hard drive holding all my music in the car. do certain head units have different limitations as to how much storage they can work with?