PDA

View Full Version : Halp!!! Box \ sub question

twistedmind
07-25-2008, 04:01 AM
So it appears I may have made my box a touch to large and now im concerned about my sub hitting the back of my seat.

I originally intended to recess the sub .75inches in a 1.5 inch thick ring. Not being familiar with the metric system I wasn't aware until about a hour ago of how big 27 mm Xmax was.

Unless im mistaken that means the subs cone will have a hair over 2 inches of travel from peak to peak before getting into distortion.

My concern lies with forward movement.

I figured for .75 inches of forward movement, to find out now after the box is being constructed by me ( out of fiberglass ), that I didn't figure right.

Pic of my problem, sorry the pic is at a funk angle, the ring is touching the seat at the top of the ring/box. The ring is 16" and the sub is a 12" the part that is touching is actually 2" above where the sub will be. Do you think I will be alright?

If you think the sub is going to hit, how wise would it be to recess the sub 1 inch into a 1.5 inch ring? Is half a inch of MDF going to be able to support a 30 pound Fi Q?

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/1089/install%20112%20(Medium).jpg

9seconlives
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Is there a way you could add another board,brace,ring to the inside of the box if you recess the sublike you mentioned? and i'm guessing that adding another ring to space it out from your seat is not an option right? you could add a tapered rin..(smaller at the bottom than the top-thickness wise i mean) the FI's will extend outside the rind pretty easily if i'm looking at the pic right.

twistedmind
07-27-2008, 12:43 PM
thats exactly what I did I ended up adding another baffel to the inside of the box so the sub is now recessed 1.5 inches