PDA

View Full Version : Do most of you that compete go SPL or Sound Q?

08redgti
07-24-2008, 01:50 AM
I want to get started competing in car audio shows, but it seems in my area like most of the shows are for SPL only. I'm personally not into ultra loud bass myself (what's the purpose), especially since I listen to mostly country and heavy metal. Do most of you guys that compete go for SPL or sound quality. Also, how can I find out about shows that concentrate on sound quality? I live in Indiana by the way.
Thanks, C.

porksoda
07-24-2008, 03:26 AM
I havent competed yet put I would go with SQ

Crimson Boom
07-27-2008, 03:27 PM
SQueers FTL

With my new setup I just want a LOUD *** **** groundpounder, not looking to compete but would like to mic on a TL one day to see where I'm at.

Innovative:Cory
07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
There are a couple of MECA shows in Indiana each year, but usually around
Evansville.. in fact we are hosting a show on Aug 10....

http://www.mecacaraudio.com/flyers/8-10-08INv2.pdf

This orginzation is for the competitor who wants to do either SPL or SQL or both...

Personally I do SQ

captaincheesey
07-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I am going into Sound Quality right now. First comp for me is on the 10th of August here in Evansville. If you aren't too far from here you should come and compete or at least observe. From what I have learned, anyone can make a car loud as ****, just alot of cone area, a good ported box, and alot of power. Then burp it at the frequency you peak at. That's for places like MECA though. If you are looking into getting loud and keeping yourself consistently loud, look into bassrace where you go for 30 seconds playing music and trying to get as loud as you can within your class.

Random1010
07-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I wouldnt say anyone can get a car loud. You can have all the best equipment and still ****. it all comes down to the installer

07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I am going into Sound Quality right now. First comp for me is on the 10th of August here in Evansville. If you aren't too far from here you should come and compete or at least observe. From what I have learned, anyone can make a car loud as ****, just alot of cone area, a good ported box, and alot of power. Then burp it at the frequency you peak at. That's for places like MECA though. If you are looking into getting loud and keeping yourself consistently loud, look into bassrace where you go for 30 seconds playing music and trying to get as loud as you can within your class.

I see a low score in your future :)

roflmao

I wonder who is going to tune your car?

:D

captaincheesey
07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I wouldnt say anyone can get a car loud. You can have all the best equipment and still ****. it all comes down to the installer

Good point, but to say the best equipment you better be a ****ing monkey to not get loud.

captaincheesey
07-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I see a low score in your future :)

roflmao

I wonder who is going to tune your car?

:D

I think I have a pretty good idea who is going to tune my car. Better yet is going to teach me how to properly tune my car with the equipment I have.

RAM_Designs
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
SQ is too subjective...the meter never varies.

07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I think I have a pretty good idea who is going to tune my car. Better yet is going to teach me how to properly tune my car with the equipment I have.

Ah , he can teach all he knows but you will never have the same tools that he has.....

07-27-2008, 03:45 PM
True sq can be subjective, but you are striving for consistancy. You want your scores to not vary too much from judge to judge...

Lets say you are on a 100 point scale..... if you are normally scoring in the mid 70's then you can expect consistant scores from the low 70's to high 70's. That would in turn say that your car is sounding about the same to each judge.

You dont want to have your scores all over the map... you dont want scores from the 60's to the 80's. that would be too much of a variance..

if you can get it in the same ball park then its about right

khanhfat
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
there were a private meet inn houston, we - the competitor will sit in each other's car and rate the SQ and the SPL .

I m still waiting for the next meet b4 school starts ;)

Beerdrnkr
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't see the point in having burp machines and if you go into SQ, you better know what you're doing and how to tune. I don't compete but if I did, I would try for a happy median. I'd try for about a 139.9 bass race and have an awesome frontstage w/ remote gain knob to turn down the amp for sq. This actually might be what I try to do next.

WhoSayWho?
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't see the purpose behind SPL. I went to one comp and it was incredibly boring.

It makes about as much sense as seeing who has the loudest car horn or shotgun.

But, each to his own and I am thankful that there are those who are into that as I think we all benefit in several ways.

Trey803
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't see the purpose behind SPL. I went to one comp and it was incredibly boring.

It makes about as much sense as seeing who has the loudest car horn or shotgun.

But, each to his own and I am thankful that there are those who are into that as I think we all benefit in several ways.

x2......way way way too repetitive

alvitae
08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
For me spl isn't just about the competition, It is the journey. Alot of tinkering and learning and trial and error to squeeze a few more tenths out. Its a good hobby for me.
Killing a weekend building and trying out a new box is more fun than staring at the t.v.
Also it's more affordable than the sq side for me I think.

DBDRAGGUY
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I compete in SPL for fun and have given some serious consideration to competing in SQ. My daily driver is more of a sound quality vehicle and I get alot of enjoyment from it. But I also get a charge from chalenging the meter, and now with Bass Race it is alot more exciting . BTW SQ judging takes forever.