PDA

View Full Version : Had a local shop tell me that the 9887 had a digital input from Ipod

99StangGt
07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
So I was a local shop and the manager told me that the Alpine 9887 has the same input as the Alpine IDA. so after checking online with the 9887 I would have to still buy the same cable as the rest of the decks telling me that it doesnt use the digital output but use the d/a converter that the Ipod uses. He told me that it was the same as the Ida input. Am I wrong in thinking that It doesnt?

avinar
07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Sorry I didn't understand what you've talked about! Please explain more clearly!
But by using KCE-422i you may use and control your ipod from your 9887 deck!

99StangGt
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Talking about the 9887 using the digital input out of the ipod. Most all decks use the analog output of the ipod using the d/a converter in the Ipod. The iDA-X001 uses a pure digital input and they told me that the 9887 uses the same thing but I dont think so being it uses the same cable as the rest of the deck that use the analog input.

MrTurtle
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Er...you're being slightly confusing BUT

the 9887 has a jack that plugs into the iPod's input/output jack (long narrow port that usually plugs into your computer), although you have to buy the cable separately. You can control the iPod from the head unit using this setup. (At least I assume it does...I have a 9885 and this is how it works and I figure that the 9887 is two better, right?)

I assume this is what you mean when you say "digital input". I'm assuming what you mean by 'analog output' is the headphone jack.

99StangGt
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I know what your talking about. But on the docking connector it has an analog and a digital output. Almost all decks use the analog output on the Ipod but the Alpine iDA-X001 uses the digital output so it uses the decks d/a converter. Local shop told me that the 9887 also uses it but it uses the same cable as all the rest of the Alpine decks so I dont know how it would get a digital signal from the Ipod.