PDA

View Full Version : Ported Box Question

UCF_Knight24
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I currently have 2 Kicker Comp 12" in a sealed box. I'm looking to build a ported box that will have high SPL but still have good SQ. The manual for the Kickers recommends 2.25 ft^3 per sub. Is this amount good, and also what frequency would you recommend tuning the port to achieve my goals?

fasfocus00
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
for me, I either do exactly what the manufactor's recommendations are or go 20% larger than what is recommended. I try to tune 28-32 hz for everyday stuff if the woofer allows. this is just what I do no anything to really go by.

9seconlives
07-25-2008, 04:26 PM
I have found in my kicker sub using's (if that's even a **** word?) that sticking pretty close to the manf. specs will serve you well. i think it's hard to get a ported box to sound anywhere near as accurate basswise as a sealed (of course) but tuning anywhere around 30hz should be alright....and using the ported box means that the subs will handle a little "less" power than before.

UCF_Knight24
07-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok I got another question. This box is going into my Ford Ranger, which way do you think I should have the port and subs pointed to get the best sound.

Right now I'm coming up with some designs. I'll post them up later to get some opinions.