View Full Version : chemical name for fiberglass

06-10-2003, 10:31 PM
After reading from a lot of places, I think I got the basic principles of glassing.

However, I am having a tremendous amount of problems locating the materials...

So far, I've located:

fiberglass mat (didn't know that there were sooooo many different types)


What's the name of the chemical that I need to apply ont he fiberglass mat? It might be easier if someone gave me a scientific name for it. I don't know what it's called in Koreans, and Koreans don't understand what I'm asking for...

06-11-2003, 06:05 AM
I believe it is called resin. not 100% sure though

06-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Well according to Osha surprisingly there are no chemical names for the actual resins. I can however give you the full names of the three types most commonly used.

Unsaturated Polyester Resin
Epoxy resin
Vinyl Ester Resin

The hardner / catalyst however does have a chemical name.

MEKP - Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide

I'll dig out my Osha sheets just to make sure. But I don't believe Osha has a chemical name listed for the resins. :)

06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Fiberglass resin or polyester resin are probably the most common names. If you have auto parts stores around just go check out the Bondo product line... they make it too.

06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Nope no chemical names. I found my OSHA sheets :)