PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass box...

Jeremy M
07-23-2008, 02:15 AM
are there any advantages of using an all plexiglass box....i do understand it would be very expensive.

back in 1994-96 my old brother had a caddy all juiced up n what not.
anywho in the trunk of it, he had 4 RF 12's in what looked like a sealed plexiglass box...i just remember not being able to take a drink of water or swallow any saliva.

ascendantsubs1
07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Looks, thats all

thegreatestpenn
07-23-2008, 02:22 AM
its not worth the effort to do a plexiglass box, especially with serious air-moving subs because they will split the box in half. I think plexi windows in a regular box is hot though, like a windo that shows the sub magnets

hatemonger
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
its not worth the effort to do a plexiglass box, especially with serious air-moving subs because they will split the box in half. I think plexi windows in a regular box is hot though, like a windo that shows the sub magnets

i never had a problem with plexi glass. i did 2 full panels of it on my last box. it would be very pricey to do a full box with 3/4 inch plexi. i'd be nervous to mount subs on a plexi baffle. i'd get 1 inch plexi. it's better to do a panel or 2, cause you can trim the edges or cover them with the carpet. i can't find glue that will hold strong and look good.

dannyz122001
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
if anyone has seemed that show "tricked out" of DIY, the guy did an entire enclosure out of plexi. i think you can go to DIY and find a link. i'll see if i can find it. it did look pretty cool though. would be an interesting project

dannyz122001
07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
got it...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_3607745,00.html

DidUHearThat?
07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
There are no advantages other than looks. Plexi is sufficiently dense enough to build sub boxes below resonace. So is granite, marble, lead, etc. None of these have any advantages over basic MDF or fiberglass.

loudaccent
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
on ebay you can buy plexi boxes

helotaxi
07-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Will be really expensive, really heavy, not at all forgiving of errors and unless it's pretty small will ring like a bell. Plexi flexes like a mother and will cause a resonance unless you build it small enough that it won't flex much.

As far as the glue, you use glue made for acrylic. It melts the joints together. The resulting joint is just as strong as the plexi itself and if the edge is dressed prior to gluing, it comes out clear. Really hard to get right but does look really trick when it comes out.