PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon spkrs in bmw

spradley
06-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi all,
I am baffled at the lack of information I can find on the impedence value of Harman Kardon speakers that come factory in the BMW 3 series cars.

Most of the car stereo shops say you have to replace the entire system or leave it alone.

Anyone ever upgraded just the speakers in one of these cars?

Any info appreciated.

Gary

slipknot87420
06-09-2003, 05:25 PM
hey spradley where you at in alabama

Bavarian3
06-09-2003, 07:25 PM
go to www.bimmerforums.com and post in their car audio section ull get much more help there. If i was u i wouldnt keep those speakers theyr crap and ull blow em if u try to put another amplifier to them. jjust get a new setup

bri487
06-09-2003, 09:02 PM
i dont think that you can just upgrade certain parts of the bmw audio system. the subwoofer systems in bmws are 8 ohms, as i believe the rest of the system is, i am not 100% positive though. double check with a local shop.

Wonderbread
06-09-2003, 09:06 PM
get out your trust DMM (digital Multi meter) or your Volt-Ohm meter and find out for yourself.

spradley
06-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info.. I thought about using my own multimeter but wanted to check with the list first.

Slipknot, yes I'm in B'ham.

Gary

paikiah
06-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Wonderbread
get out your trust DMM (digital Multi meter) or your Volt-Ohm meter and find out for yourself.

Talking about LCR meters? I was so keen on getting on of those so I could make my own xovers...

Wonderbread
06-10-2003, 01:47 PM
im talking about a Digital Multi Meter or a Volt Ohm meter... with settings for impedance, 12v, etc etc etc... no idea what you are talking about, lol

Woodmister
06-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Yea, some factory car audio systems have werd ohm ratings for their speakers. My BOSE speakers are wired to 1ohm which means I have to upgrade it all (HU and speakers) if I want a new system. Which I am doing, even though its one of the nicest factory systems Ive heard...

actlsub
06-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Woodmister
Yea, some factory car audio systems have werd ohm ratings for their speakers. My BOSE speakers are wired to 1ohm which means I have to upgrade it all (HU and speakers) if I want a new system. Which I am doing, even though its one of the nicest factory systems Ive heard...

True True my factory bose sub and amp actually ran at 0.5ohms