PDA

View Full Version : how to put in led's

Black Truck 10
07-18-2008, 02:55 AM
If im trying to sorta copy this, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?showtopic=149&st=60

How do I put in the front plexiglass? Like does it need to sit in deeper than the mdf so I put lights underneath it? Or to get that look do I flush mount the Plexiglass to the MDF and then just put the lights either on top or bottom?

Tell me to explain more if im not doing it well.

roarzorz
07-18-2008, 10:38 AM
The plexi is on the inside of the wood and is side-lit with leds.

Black Truck 10
07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
I thought they leds were on the bottom?

Someone else mentioned to me that they think the plexi had a slit cut into it across the bottom of it and just large enough that the LED's would fit inside of it.

azimuth
07-18-2008, 07:58 PM
sand paper, trim and box covering can fix almost any mistake. i just pre-drilled the plexi on mine and fastened it just as if it were a piece of wood. i just covered the edges of the plexi with my box covering. in my case, i had to paint the edge. it was a pia to get it smooth on the cut edge, but the rustoleum plastic paint seems to have stuck to it really well. i know i'm not much help. my box was just a basic rectangle, so it was no where near as nice as that one. have you done some basic box building?

azimuth
07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
oh. i had red led's in my box. i used a dremel to cut a little trench out of the corners, into the wood where it meets the glass. it wasn't shining through the edge of the glass, but modify that plan a little, and you may come up with something. personally, i would use a dremel and cut out where i wanted my lights and i would make a path in the wood where the wires would run. cover it with spackling or silicone, sand, and paint over.

edit: i would run the wires inside the bracing of my box and avoid carving in to the mdf as much as possible.