PDA

View Full Version : Aeroports vs. Slot Ports

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
are there any advantages of having either one?

and if I had a fi q 15 in a 4 cub. ft. box, what size/ how many ports would i need?

is there tuning for aeroports?

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
help :(

shizzzon
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
there is tuning for any port.

Technically, Aeroports are suppose to provide less turbulence because the ends are flanged allowing air to flow through easier resulting in less port noise which translates into more port area taking up less space...

Now, if an aeroport has larger surface area, what does slot port have that aero don't?

Slot ports have extended acoustical lengths inside of the box, aeroports dont.

What this means is you can make a slot port but the tuning may actually be 1-2 hz lower than you expected because it's acoustical length is lengthened because the port os sharing a wall of the box. Since this box is longer then the port itself, the wall acts as a port wall which means port length may start before even entering the port itself.
The good thing about this is a slot port can take up less space since it uses a wall of the box to help lower the tuning without using the entire port length compared to making a port that does not share a wall of the box.

So.... what it realy comes down to is this-

If you are pressed for space, slot port may be better.

If you have plenty of space for a port and you want most output potential or higher potential SQ, go aeroport.

01 S 10
07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
not to be an azz, but DAM did you TRY TO SEARCH, srsly

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:14 AM
there is tuning for any port.

Technically, Aeroports are suppose to provide less turbulence because the ends are flanged allowing air to flow through easier resulting in less port noise which translates into more port area taking up less space...

Now, if an aeroport has larger surface area, what does slot port have that aero don't?

Slot ports have extended acoustical lengths inside of the box, aeroports dont.

What this means is you can make a slot port but the tuning may actually be 1-2 hz lower than you expected because it's acoustical length is lengthened because the port os sharing a wall of the box. Since this box is longer then the port itself, the wall acts as a port wall which means port length may start before even entering the port itself.
The good thing about this is a slot port can take up less space since it uses a wall of the box to help lower the tuning without using the entire port length compared to making a port that does not share a wall of the box.

So.... what it realy comes down to is this-

If you are pressed for space, slot port may be better.

If you have plenty of space for a port and you want most output potential or higher potential SQ, go aeroport.

well its not that i'm pushed for space necessarily, but a slot port won't tune to wat i want it to because of the dimensions of the box.

shizzzon
07-15-2008, 12:22 AM
you can bend a slot port, it's not advised to bend an aero because when you bend, theoretically it may introduce more turbulence. Aeroports are supposed to be used to rid as much turbulence as possible so it'd be a waste of design to bend aeros...

You can bend slot as i said before, just measure down the center of the port when calculating port length.
Whatever the total length needs to be, subtract 0.75" of that length if using 0.75" MDF as the thickness of the wall counts as port length unless you are running the port wall straight out the box and making it flush with the outside wall...

Anyways, whatever the internal width is of your port, divide that number by 2 then subtract this number from required port length and that's the actual physical port length you need to make. remember, just measure down the center to get your length. Keep turning the port 90 degrees until you get the right length.

Remember - if you are trying to achieve a certain tuning-

Increasing port area will only increase port length requirement.
Decreasing port area decreases port length requirement but may cause port noise. Try to stay within 12-16sqin of port for every 1cuft NET of volume internal.

Increasing internal volume decreases port length requirement.

Keep this in mind when trying your best to determine how you want your port to be made.

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:27 AM
thanks for the info. thats alot of it. I want tune 28-33 htz, does anyone the aeroports-such as size and #, to be able to do this?- thats more what I'm looking for

alxmlr789
07-15-2008, 12:32 AM
www.psp-inc.com

Use their calculator, i've found it to be pretty accurate.

DJ Nitrous 427
07-15-2008, 12:33 AM
depends on the size of your box

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
www.psp-inc.com

Use their calculator, i've found it to be pretty accurate.

I'm not exactly sure the difference between flare and straight ports

GrandCherokee
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
yah ^^^ that calc.
I got an FiQ 18"
Im going slotted 6ft^3

Buck
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
depends on the size of your box

i stated the size of the box :fyi:

97gp
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.searchenginehappy.com/images/finger_search_button_world.jpg

15nissen
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
aero ports will almost always be louder regardless of tuning. Easier to build a box as well as to change tuning.

Buck
07-15-2008, 01:31 AM
bump

hatemonger
07-15-2008, 01:45 AM
i've used 3" and 4" pvc with success. i like to use 2 4 inch ports, but you have to design your box carefully to be able to fit 20 inch long ports in the box. a single port is much shorter to get the same tuning.

Buck
07-15-2008, 01:48 AM
i've used 3" and 4" pvc with success. i like to use 2 4 inch ports, but you have to design your box carefully to be able to fit 20 inch long ports in the box. a single port is much shorter to get the same tuning.

how do you tune?

Buck
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
bump

bhsdriller
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
how do you tune?

The length of the aeroport determines the tuning

soloXgt
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
same way a slot port does

icweiner
07-17-2008, 01:45 AM
go to www.bcae1.com then on the right go to number like 110 i think. it has an amazing aero port box calc.

projectnutz
07-17-2008, 01:47 AM
I have an fi btl in a custom aero port box. You can hear the difference when tuned and untuned. I'd choose aero port over slotted ports any day.