PDA

View Full Version : crystal good? need opinoins on comps

buthatsabuick
06-07-2003, 03:53 PM
hi, im looking for a good 5.25" components set, i will have cdt 61as in the rear and want just as good sound upfront. ive been looking at alpine mb quart and crystal. the comps will have 100w on them constantly every day in a daily driver...so something around 10w rms. pretty much looking for suggestions thanks..

i have heard that mb quart mids have little to no bass.

how are these?
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/CRYCSC50T

Gauntlet
06-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Well....I would just put those CDT's up front and leave it at that....but if you're so inclined to go the other way....why not just get another pair of the CDT's? Those Crystals are only 70RMS....not a good idea to run 100 to them.....

buthatsabuick
06-07-2003, 10:25 PM
see i dont have a problem with cutting my door but i have a mounting depth problem. i only have 2.5" MD and the cdts are 3". any way to work around or solve that?

Gauntlet
06-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by buthatsabuick
see i dont have a problem with cutting my door but i have a mounting depth problem. i only have 2.5" MD and the cdts are 3". any way to work around or solve that?

MDF mounting ring

buthatsabuick
06-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Gauntlet
MDF mounting ring

see im not sure my door will go on with another 1" bulge..inside.

buthatsabuick
06-07-2003, 11:10 PM
actually instead of cutting my door...could i cut a square out of .5" mdf and just mount the speaker to the mdf and the mdf to the door? i have done this with 6x9s in the rear of cars before but i dont work with doors often.

Gauntlet
06-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by buthatsabuick
actually instead of cutting my door...could i cut a square out of .5" mdf and just mount the speaker to the mdf and the mdf to the door?

That's what an MDF mounting ring is ;)

1zenlunatic
06-08-2003, 01:41 AM
You can make it work. Make those mounting rings and whatever else you need. It might take awhile
but you'll get it done.

I just finished installing crystal csc60 6.5" mids in the doors of my 90 civic.

The stock mounting depth is only around 1 5/8". The crystals require 2 1/2".
Not only that but they would not fit under the door skin even with a mounting plate and a mounting ring.
I had to make 2 mounting plates, glue them together and screw them into the door. Then
put the skin back on minus the kickpanel. Then put a ring on mounted off-axis over the door skin with 3 shims
in between all at different angles/heights to support the off axis ring.

So all together, 4 mounting plates, 2 mounting rings, 6 shims, 24 screws, and many hours later the crystal mids are finally sitting in the doors!

Tomorrow i have to wire them.. I wanted to do the fabrication stuff first because i knew it was gonna be harder.

Next time i'll save an extra $200 and buy some kodas!

The fun never ends. Enjoy.

buthatsabuick
06-08-2003, 02:01 AM
do you like your crystals? or have you not heard them yet since your still installing

1zenlunatic
06-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Dont know yet. Theyve only seen power from the HU just to test for signs of life.

Wires go in tomorrow.
Coustic amp gets here next weekend. I'll let you know when i get everything hooked up, maybe throw in some pics.