PDA

View Full Version : walled facing rear?

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
ok i dont got pics yet cause i cant find my camera usb cord but i have a cherokee and i've built my box and got if walled in the front and put trim pieces around it to make it a "wall" so tobe sealed from the carg. my port is a vertical slot port in the center facing the front. built for 4 12's the box has more air space than i needed so i think imma put 4 more 12's in the back of the box so when i pop the cargo door you see 4 more since the back of all 8 subwoofers are in this box all the air will still come through the port but will the sound come too or once i wall the rear to make it a "wall" should i put a port tube from front to back throught the "trim pieces so the sound from the cargo also come from the front or will it be just fine being the baskets are in the box to push air through the port?

armitank
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM
wait.. what??

btdickey99
radical

what subs, and how much air space?

doesnt sound like a good idea to me but its your stuff

Propimp
:wow: pics would proballly help this situation ALOT

MisterGrubbs
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Okay. He has a wall

4 subs forward.

He sealed it off from the cargo, right?

He is now adding 4 more woofers to the backside of the box, in that sealed cargo area, so that when you pop the hatch/trunk/whatever you want to call it, you see those 4 subs.

He says it will get louder because the only port is towards the front of the car, and that will help it get louder because it's moving more air.

That is what he is saying, if I have read correctly.

Dont do it.

fbi90909
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
hahahah holy ****, you built a large *** box w/o even calculating how much air space you were really needing? lol do you even know what your port is tuned to or is it just a few board put together?
if you have 4 12's and "think" you have too much air space and require 4 more 12's then you seriously seem like you do not know what you are doing.

Propimp
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Give us some specs

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
cant get pics up til tonight but everyone knows what a wall would be like just imagine that when you open up the cargo. a wall with speakers facing the rear then another one behind the front seats(took my back seat out! using hifonics subs, they need 2.5-3 cubic feet each, my box is 21 cubic feet, im shrinking that up a little to give exactly 2.5 each! so im taking out 1 cubic foot! using 4 hifonics brutus amps(600x1@1ohm) each sub needs 300rms or 600 peak with 8 subs ill be putting 1 amp for every 2 subs for a total 2400watts rms! prolly more in the future once i see what the subs do at 300 i would like to try bout 450 each!

Ali1
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
ok i dont got pics yet cause i cant find my camera usb cord but i have a cherokee and i've built my box and got if walled in the front and put trim pieces around it to make it a "wall" so tobe sealed from the carg. my port is a vertical slot port in the center facing the front. built for 4 12's the box has more air space than i needed so i think imma put 4 more 12's in the back of the box so when i pop the cargo door you see 4 more since the back of all 8 subwoofers are in this box all the air will still come through the port but will the sound come too or once i wall the rear to make it a "wall" should i put a port tube from front to back throught the "trim pieces so the sound from the cargo also come from the front or will it be just fine being the baskets are in the box to push air through the port?

periods are your best friend

:ladysman:

fbi90909
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
cant get pics up til tonight but everyone knows what a wall would be like just imagine that when you open up the cargo. a wall with speakers facing the rear then another one behind the front seats(took my back seat out! using hifonics subs, they need 2.5-3 cubic feet each, my box is 21 cubic feet, im shrinking that up a little to give exactly 2.5 each! so im taking out 1 cubic foot! using 4 hifonics brutus amps(600x1@1ohm) each sub needs 300rms or 600 peak with 8 subs ill be putting 1 amp for every 2 subs for a total 2400watts rms! prolly more in the future once i see what the subs do at 300 i would like to try bout 450 each!

you do realize that if you cut down your internal air space to the proper requirements for those subs that your port tuning will need to be fixed as well.
lol i want to see pics.

Ed Lester
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
sounds like you are going to hack that box up and make it sound terrible while blowing subs.

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
hahahah holy ****, you built a large *** box w/o even calculating how much air space you were really needing? lol do you even know what your port is tuned to or is it just a few board put together?
if you have 4 12's and "think" you have too much air space and require 4 more 12's then you seriously seem like you do not know what you are doing.

built the box to specs for 4 12's that im no longer using and ported it to 27hz, im redoing the rear of the box to build it to spec for 8 12's(lower class 12's just got great deal from my boy who owns a stereo shop locally) i been buildin boxes a long time and never had a problem once and got plenty of trophies(that mean jack **** to me) along with friends boxes i built who have trophies(means the world to them not sure why though, i could buy a trophy if thats what was special) so yes i know what im doing just never tried subs facing front AND rear to push more air, basically im letting the cargo(if i calculated the cargo air space) im letting the cargo be a seald chamber for 4 of the 12's and the box is the ported chamber of a wierd bandpass sorta combo if you will! ill post the pics when im done and after i get it all installed ill let yall know how it turned out, might try a vid but we will wait and see!

fbi90909
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
you are better off building a wall/clam shell type ****. don't put subs facing the back.

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
sounds like you are going to hack that box up and make it sound terrible while blowing subs.

actually i already re did it once! i had it with 4 audiopipes built to spec but not impressed so i decided to go with 8 hifonics cause i been usin hifonics speakers and subs for a few years and they never let me down i just get bored so i sell what i have and start all over with a new head unit components and all! (once you've worked with the stuffmost your life it takes alot to impress a person thus you get bored and re do it over and over again!

MisterGrubbs
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I have an idea.

Try working with some higher quality stuff, or more power, or something...

Nothing against AudioPipe or Hifonics, both make some good stuff.

But my opinion, if you have 21 cubes

Would be to rebaffle the front, and size the box down just a tad

And do four 15's on more power

Ed Lester
07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I have an idea.

Or just redo the baffle to fit 8 12s facing front.

4 12s facing front and 4 12s facing back with a port forward will not be good at all and tuning will be out of whack as well as the rear facing subs unloading in the port causing them to have over excursion and they can blow.

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I have an idea.

very good idea, i thought about it but i like haveing lots of subs with ok power just cause the db meter nolonger rises my intrest, im more into the crowds wow factor, like some guy beats me on the meter with some nicer biger stuff but in the end i got more people crowded around me cause i have more equipment and thats the meter i like!( love being center of attention, its my second hobby next to stereos and off roading)

trashedxj
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Or just redo the baffle to fit 8 12s facing front.

4 12s facing front and 4 12s facing back with a port forward will not be good at all and tuning will be out of whack as well as the rear facing subs unloading in the port causing them to have over excursion and they can blow.

i would rather do your idea but a jeep cherokee isnt wide enough plus it would be a ***** makin a box for that idea cause the jeep is semi narrow and the wheel hubs would requir to built the box around them makin it that much harder to figure the air space.

Jeremy M
07-10-2008, 06:35 PM
do it and see....if it sounds like ish, then u know that ain't gonna work....hack it all out and make a clamshell